Technical Business Analyst
The Team: Fueling the technologies that drive our products and support our company`s infrastructure. Technology team consists of talented developers, network architects, and IT experts who help make technology one of Morningstar`s core strengths. Though our technologists represent a range of skills and knowledge bases, they all view technology as a craft and care deeply about creating positive user experiences. From Agile methodologies to mobile applications to software as a service (SaaS) delivered from our private cloud, we push technology`s boundaries to build scalable, elegant solutions that help investors reach their financial goals.
The Role: In this role, you will support the development of new features and functionalities of data collection solutions. The data technology business analyst will be responsible for drafting functional specifications for features based on requirements gathering sessions involving business teams and for clearly communicating these specifications to on-shore and off-shore development teams. An ideal candidate understands business goals, but must also have a firm grasp on technical architecture to drive implementation forward. The candidate must be committed to delivering functionality with full life-cycle support, from inception through release in the live service to post-release maintenance and modifications. Close coordination with business teams is expected. Exposure & experience in large-scale system implementation is a big plus. This position is based out of our headquarters in Chicago.
Key Job Responsibilities –
- Gather and manage scope, requirements, and overall delivery of features
- Collaborate with business teams to understand requirements for new functionalities
- Cultivate functional backlog with technical team leads to set priorities and prepare for development
- Work closely with developers to ensure that new functionality is delivered to specification
- Facilitate collaboration between the product, API, and data development teams to ensure integration issues are resolved swiftly
- Perform initial investigation and triage of defects related to relevant features or content
- Where appropriate, present solution options to functional and technical leads to determine the best implementation approach for new functionality or bug fixes
- Provide guidance to the QA team to ensure that features and content are properly tested
- 5+ years of experience as a business analyst focused on technical implementations
- Strong skills with relational databases and good working knowledge of SQL
- Experience with cloud based solutions is a plus
- Previous developer experience is a plus
- Knowledge of software delivery methodologies, specifically Agile
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with on-shore and off-shore technical and business teams
- Experience owning solution delivery
- Experience working with multiple teams and managing coordination of distributed development
- Experience in a data-oriented environment and knowledge of data manipulation patterns
- Financial or accounting industry knowledge very helpful
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.