Software Engineer (Java)
PowerReviews works with more than 1,000 global brands and retailers to deliver cloud-based software that collects and displays ratings and reviews on websites.
As a member of the PowerReviews development team, you will design and develop software to achieve high performance, high usability and high stability within the context of our infrastructure, business practices, market pressures and planning cycles.
You must be comfortable taking ownership of projects and be able to work closely with business owners to drive projects from conception to completion. You should have a deep understanding of Java development, database modeling and design, and scalable web architectures. You should not only be capable in using existing frameworks and open source libraries, but also comfortable designing and implementing new features from scratch. You will be involved in all phases of the software lifecycle, from specification to design, coding and deployment. You should be comfortable working on an existing codebase, maintaining and adding new features and learning a variety of technologies and working in the AWS ecosystem.
- Develop robust web applications from the database layer to the service layer to the front end
- Grow into the primary expert in multiple aspects of the product
- Take ownership of projects from start to finish, working with business owners to deliver requirements on target and on schedule
- Be responsible for the quality of your code with thoughtful design, unit testing and automated functional testing
- Focus on usability throughout the stack, from maintainable code through end-user UX
- Participate in and contribute to peer code reviews
- Proactively seek out and help us minimize pain points within our infrastructure and code base
- Experience with source control tools such as Git
- Excited about a agile development environment and product cycle
- Strong attention to detail, good communications skills and a positive attitude.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Past experience developing in multi-tier application environments including web service integration
- 3+ years experience with Java frameworks and tools for example: MVC, Spring and Hibernate
- Strong experience with SQL
- Experience working with REST API’s
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience developing applications that take advantage of Amazon Web Services, including but not limited to, auto-scaling, DynamoDB, SQS, S3, and Elastic Map Reduce.
- Experience working with big data sets and big data programming (EMR, NoSQL data stores)
- Comfortable working in a Unix environment
Our Tech Stack
At PowerReviews we use lots of open source software and use Amazon Web Services (almost) exclusively. Our current stack consists of Linux, Java, Jenkins, Tomcat, Nginx, PostgreSQL, MySQL, ElasticSearch, React.js, Docker, and some Ruby on Rails. In AWS we make use of EC2, DynamoDB, RDS, Redshift, Elastic Beanstalk, S3, Elasticache, (both Redis and Memcached), Elastic Map Reduce, and Cloudfront. Other stuff we use includes Sumologic, Datadog, Selenium, and Packer.