Chicago magazine, the nation’s largest city monthly and a perennial National Magazine Award nominee, is seeking a Senior Editor to edit features and oversee culture coverage. Primary responsibilities include editing features and service packages of all types and subjects, writing stories from time to time, overseeing the culture section in the print magazine (which covers Chicago-area music, theater, dance, art, movies, books, etc.) and overseeing culture coverage online.
- Generate ideas for magazine features and service packages, assign them to writers, and edit them.
- Plan, assign, edit, and close the culture section of the magazine each month. Work with the art and photo department on layouts.
- Edit (and occasionally write) culture content for Chicago’s website
- Write features and shorter pieces from time to time.
- Keep track of the budget for the culture coverage and see that freelance writers have contracts and are paid.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field
- Four years of editing experience on a major magazine or newspaper, plus reporting and writing experience
- Interest in and knowledge of Chicago’s cultural scene
- Strong organizational and collaboration skills and ability to work under pressure
- Excellent line-editing skills and story-structuring skills