Senior Database Engineer
The primary responsibilities for the Senior Database Engineer position include architecture, design, documention, implemention, and maintainance of databases in support of the Data Integration, Data Analytics, and Reporting/BI processes. This person is ultimately responsible for database design and data flow of new projects as well as ensuring compliance to data standards and best practices. This position is responsible for performing assigned tasks in the areas of database modeling, performance monitoring, data integration, capacity planning, and database performance tuning. The position will provide operational support for development, test and production environments. This position is also expected to be a key contributor in development and maintenance of database administration procedures and operations and collaborate with other members of the Technology Team to provide the best quality Data Service. Overall the person in this position is expected to demonstrate proficiency in database design, SQL programming, Shell scripting, troubleshooting, teamwork, leadership, and customer service.
- Contribute to the development of technical design decisions involving all things related to databases
- Work collaboratively with Technical Architects, Business/Data Analysts, Project Managers, and Business Stakeholders to develop the database models and data structures
- Develop and implement new database and data loading patterns
- Proactively work on identifying and addressing DB/application performance issues
- Contributes to system development and deployment activities to ensure that data base systems management concerns are addressed
- Provides input to strategic IT goals, objectives, tools, methodologies, and infrastructure
- Evaluate new database technologies and data integration mechanisms
- Work independently and proactively in a rapidly changing team environment
- Evaluates and solicits feedback on processes and procedures to identify potential areas for improvement
- Assist the Technology Team in the development of full life cycle documentation and documents all activities
- Takes ownership of assigned responsibilities and follows through to effective solution
Work closely with the Infrastructure/Operations, Analysts, and other Technology staffs as needed to help troubleshoot and maintain production databases and to resolve production issues.
Maintain an in depth understanding of industry trends and evolving technology.
Communicate complex technical information in a timely, concise and coherent manner.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent preferred. Seven to ten years of progressively responsible technology experience. Professional training in scalable database technologies desired combined with experience in the analysis, design, and development of mission-critical databases.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- 5-10+ years of experience in the design and development of enterprise relational database management systems
- Expertise in relational and dimensional data modeling and database design
- Experience with data warehousing and business intelligence environments
- Proficiency with SQL/PLSQL
- Knowledge of distributed databases and partitioning
- Knowledge of scalable data architectures
- Strong experience working with Data Warehousing platforms including Vertica, Redshift, Postgres, Oracle or other newer database technologies
- Experience with identifying and addressing performance bottlenecks
- Experience with developing Cloud based (AWS) databases and migrating on-premise databases to Cloud based databases
- Experience setting up and developing applications with NoSQL databases (Hadoop, HBase, Hive, etc.)
- Familiarity with data loading technologies such as Informatica, Pentaho, SPARK, SQOOP
- Excellent communication and interpersonal relationship skills, working in a distributed, remote team environment and supporting multiple, concurrent projects