Vice President - Equity Research Sales
The Group: Morningstar’s Business Development & Sales group is responsible for helping our advisor and institutional clients build their businesses and provide better outcomes for investors. The group is structured primarily along the following client segments: Advisor, Asset Management, Retirement, Redistributor, and Commodities & Energy.
The Team: The Equity Research sales team focuses primarily on Portfolio Managers, Heads of Research and Analysts within Asset Managers, Private Banks and other asset owners. We are a global, independent, investor-focused research, data and tools provider. We deliver award-winning equity research on over 1,500 stocks and from over 100 analysts to clients globally.
The Role: As a Vice President, Equity Research Sales, you will forge and maintain client relationships in order to provide a full range of equity (and credit research services) to portfolio managers, directors of research, and research analysts in a defined geographic territory. This position will require 25-30% travel time and ideally will be based in Chicago, but there is some flexibility with the location for the right candidate.
- Match client needs with Morningstar's Equity Research Services in a consultative manner, with a focus on matching clients' investment styles and research processes with Morningstar analysts' work to surface relevant investment ideas.
- Convey extensive knowledge of our methodologies, analyst expertise, pricing, and value proposition to sophisticated investors.
- Establish trust among analysts, portfolio managers, and directors of research.
- Generate leads from industry contacts, publications, trade show lists, business directories, databases, and websites.
- Drive revenue by proactively identifying and cultivating prospective clients, and build long-term relationships through introductory calls, meetings, and trials.
- Consult with sales managers, and global product managers to establish annual sales targets, then meet these targets on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Coordinate prospecting, support, and revenue-generating activities with a large Morningstar sales force.
- Provide regular pipeline reports, customer feedback, and market research knowledge to management to enhance product development efforts and the customer experience.
- Proven success in growing sales over several years, achieving sales targets, and building long-term relationships while adhering to a disciplined sales process is required. Preferably in an equity sales/research environment.
- Clear and persuasive written and verbal communication skills are essential, as are strong presentation and negotiation abilities for working with clients and prospects with sophisticated investment knowledge, specifically buyside managers and analysts.
- Candidates should also have a demonstrated interest in stock and/or corporate bond investing.
- Familiarity with Morningstar equity and credit research and the asset management industry is highly desirable.
- Strong motivation to excel in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree or relevant qualification such as an MBA or CFA, is preferred.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
036_MstarResearchLLC Morningstar Research Services LLC Legal Entity