Director of Business Development, RMBS Ratings
The Area: Morningstar Credit Ratings, LLC is a nationally recognized statistical rating organization (NRSRO) that has earned a reputation for innovation and excellence. Our goal is to help institutional investors identify and understand credit risk. Our analytical approach stresses transparency of the ratings process, strong fundamental credit analysis, and comprehensive investor-focused reporting that provides a concise Morningstar perspective on credit risk.
The Role: Morningstar seeks a highly motivated business development professional who will be responsible for growing Morningstar’s residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) ratings business by prospecting and identifying ratings opportunities for new-issue RMBS transactions. This individual will cultivate and manage relationships with RMBS issuers, bankers, arrangers and investors to ensure ongoing growth in Morningstar’s RMBS ratings business. This position will require regular interaction with market participants, building awareness of Morningstar’s ratings business, methodologies, and research.
- Grow RMBS ratings assignments by ensuring that Morningstar’s ratings capabilities and thought leadership are well known and understood among issuers, bankers, and investors.
- Developing and cultivating relationships with key market participants including issuers, arrangers, bankers, investors, and other parties who play a role in the securitization process.
- Promote ratings business with bank trading desks and research departments.
- Increasing support for Morningstar’s ratings by coordinating and managing meetings between Morningstar ratings analysts and key market participants.
- Work with Head of Sales and Business Development and legal group on negotiation of fee arrangements and preparation of required legal engagement documents.
- Prepare and present regular management updates highlighting activity and progress.
- Conduct reviews of preliminary and post-rating execution with issuers and arrangers to ensure quality execution by the RMBS team.
- Communicate feedback from issuers and arrangers, facilitating improvement in the analytical process and the analytical research products.
- Schedule and conduct business development meetings at industry events in conjunction with management and analytical team members.
- Work with the Investor Outreach to promote success with issuers to ensure understanding of growing market acceptance or Morningstar Credit Ratings.
- Develop leadership role within trade organizations, attend and participate in industry trade shows and events, promote Morningstar Credit Ratings participation in conferences and other speaking opportunities, workshops, and educational events.
- Strong working knowledge of mortgage-backed securities market.
- Demonstrated success in a revenue producing business development role.
- Minimum 7-10 years experience in mortgage-backed securities industry - Rating agency experience a plus.
- Strong communication and client-facing presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work both collaboratively and autonomously
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced results driven environment.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree in finance related major preferred.