Business Development Representative
Sprout Social is used by over 20,000+ brands worldwide including Evernote, GrubHub, West Elm, and Edelman. These businesses rely on Sprout to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media.
Sprout Social is looking for a highly motivated, outgoing and tech savvy sales representatives with strong business acumen to join our growing Business Development team. As a Business Development Representative, you will generate new business by prospecting outbound leads.
Joining the Business Development team is an opportunity to fast track your career in sales. Contributing at a high level in the Business Development role will open opportunities to move through our growing organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, related field OR equivalent experience
- 1+ years of relevant experience in B2B sales - client facing, consulting or marketing
- SaaS experience preferred
- Driven to succeed and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in time management, setting priorities, and taking initiative
- Track record of overachieving against defined metrics
- Exceptional organizational, presentation, and communication skills - phone, email, and webinar
- Technical expertise and ability to acquire knowledge of new products
- Understand and apply effective business development strategies and techniques
- A passion for building new business
- Experience working with Salesforce.com or other CRM platform
- Willingness to work in a collaborative work environment
Within 1 month, you will…
- Complete Sprout Social’s new hire training & onboarding program alongside other new Sprout team members. You’ll gain a broader understanding of our products and how your role fits into the organization.
- Partner with the Manager of Business Development to define key success metrics for your role and how you will measure against them.
- Begin developing familiarity with our business, platform, and applications, as well as our company’s key metrics.
- Acclimate yourself with the day to day responsibilities of Sprout’s Business Development team by shadowing team members, listening to recorded customer calls and working closely with our dedicated Enablement Manager.
Within 3 months, you will…
- Identify and contact prospective clients to build the pipeline through a variety of methods including, but not limited to cold-calling, emailing, and mass email campaigns.
- Approximately 60% of time spent will be on the phones prospecting.
- Achieve department standards for activity that includes:
- Making a minimum number of quality outbound calls per day, of which at least 20% of those calls should result in quality conversations.
- Scheduling a minimum number of new quality discovery calls per week.
- Create a professional and engaging first impression with our prospects and customers.
- Create, maintain and update database of prospects with complete information and emails.
- Thoroughly qualify all outbound opportunities and collaborate with Account Executives for a smooth customer experience.
- Generate new business through outbound prospecting.
- Prioritize leads, research prospects and position relevant product features to solve business needs.
- Run initial discovery calls to identify customer requirements and expectations in order to make tailored product recommendations.
- Manage follow-up with calls-to-action to consistently build a sales pipeline.
- Exceed activity and pipeline goals on a monthly basis.
Within 6 months, you will…
- Consistently achieve your opportunity and revenue targets.
- Become an expert in all things social media, including advanced listening and employee advocacy.
- Have mastered the uses cases of successful customers across different verticals and sophistication on social media.
- Consistently reflect on your own skill and development gaps along with your Manager to identify personal and professional coaching areas.
- Step up as a leader in the Sales Development organization by mentoring new hires.
- Have a clear understanding of the SMB Account Executive organization and how to position yourself as an ideal candidate.
Within 12 months, you will…
- Have mastered the necessary skills needed to work a consistent outbound process, including time management, sense of urgency, and account prioritization.
- Be a leader on the floor by sharing best practices and ways that you have been successful as an BDR.
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!