Lead Scrum Master
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The ScrumMaster (SM) is a servant leader enabling their team to work as effectively as possible. Removes bottlenecks and issues that slow down the team’s progress. Coaches the team to own and continuously improve their process and practices. Escalates issues outside of team control to Release Train Engineer and management. Facilitates mandatory scrum team meetings and ensures scrum practices are adhered to.
- Understands and upholds the scrum framework, protects the team from distractions, and strives for early acceptance. Advocate of the agile framework
- Effectively facilitate required meetings (daily stand up/huddle, release/sprint planning, sprint demo/retrospective). Knows how to incorporate offshore and remote team members
- Proactively manage dependencies and remove impediments. Locate and prevent dependencies for the team before they may see them. Know when to escalate dependencies to management. Protects the team from distractions like non-sprint work and changing business requirements
- Demonstrates servant leadership skills
- Displays self-awareness, collaboration and empathy. Motivate, encourage, influence and empower others. Establishes strong, clear communication. Ability to give and receive feedback
- Uses the appropriate features in Rally (Burnup/Burndown chart, cumulative flow diagram, enhanced velocity chart, Release/Sprint planning, capacity planning)
- Upholds the scrum process (without an owner the process degrades)
- Drives the team to high performing levels by creating a healthy Agile environment, provides Agile coaching to team (test first, XP, etc)
- Schedules and facilitates all relevant meetings for the release, including sprint pipeline grooming, release planning, sprint planning and daily stand ups/huddles
- Protects the team, facilitates the removal of issues/blockers/impediments, and helps the team resolve dependencies
- Responsible for facilitating the sprint pipeline grooming that gets the User Story to Ready state
- Manages the release and sprint timelines, follows up on key action items
- Assesses the scrum team’s velocity for the upcoming sprint and tracks the sprint health
- Facilitates the sprint review and demo, sprint retrospective. Captures and distributes feedback
- Provides status updates to Product Owners, business stakeholders and management, as needed
- Completes Product Development Process (PDP) documentation
- Maintains release information in Clarity and Rally
- Ensures test environment is set up properly, with all necessary dependencies and test data
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Agile, Scrum, or related field
- 5+ years working in a Technology environment
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least one year for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Knowledge of numerous well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach(example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc)
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least two years for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches like Kanban
- Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team
- Experience applying a wide variety of well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc)
- First level Scrum Master certification (CSM, PSM I)
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!