Product Manager – Morningstar Managed Portfolios
About the Products Group: The Products group is home of manufacturing and innovation at Morningstar. The individuals in this group transform our high-quality data, independent research, and technological expertise into well-designed products that delight our clients. The group’s product management, product development, and service teams collaborate with our Client Solutions group to help provide clients with relevant products and bundled solutions.
About Morningstar’s Investment Management group: Drawing on our core capabilities in asset allocation, investment selection, and portfolio construction, Morningstar’s Investment Management group provides a global point of view and local market experience. Our investment professionals, located around the world, are guided by core principles focused on long-term investment results and helping end investors reach their financial goals. Built around world-class investment strategies and harnessing the global resources of Morningstar, Inc., our investment offerings support financial advisors, institutions, and the investors they serve. Morningstar® Managed Portfolios provides professional guidance and access to strategies that can help investors reach their financial goals.
The Role: Product Managers design, develop, and manage activities for a specific product from conceptualization, definition, and planning through implementation, release, enhancement and eventual sun-setting – the product lifecycle. Product Managers act as both product experts and strategists to translate market trends, customer needs, competitive intelligence, and Morningstar intellectual property into innovative deliverables that solve customer problems, and evangelize those innovations internally and externally.
Morningstar is looking for a talented Product Manager to lead the development of our Morningstar Managed Portfolios (MMP) platform. As Product Manager, you will lead a cross-functional team of designers, developers, and quality assurance analysts to execute on a portfolio of complex projects related to designing the next generation Managed Portfolios platform. This position reports into the Director of Product Management and is located in our Chicago office.
• Own the tactical roadmap, requirements, and product development lifecycle for a squad dedicated to architecting and implementing a new and improved Managed Portfolio platform.
• Champion Managed Portfolios platform integration with 3rd parties and other Morningstar products and capabilities, working closely with development teams across the Products and Data teams.
• Develop business requirements refined and validated with customers and stakeholders, prioritize the backlog queue across multiple projects and workstreams, and work within an Agile software development framework.
• Understand both business and technology requirements, serving as a conduit between stakeholders, sales, service, marketing, compliance, design, operations and technology teams.
• Breakdown and analyze complex workflows and systems, identify inefficiencies/areas for improvement, and define solutions to improve the client experience.
• Track Key Performance Indicators and measurements of product success as it relates to deploying platform improvements.
• Conduct user testing activities to help vet and develop new functionality and user experiences.
• A bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, computer science or related field is required; a graduate degree is a plus.
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in product management, business analysis or client solution roles.
• Knowledge and experience with agile development, and good technical acumen required
• Excellent oral and written communication, planning, and analytical skills.
• Self-directed and detail-oriented.
• A passion for building software. Ability to motivate and grow a collaborative, cross-functional team with a track record for quality and on-time deliveries. Must be willing to occasionally connect with global colleagues at off-hours.
• Experience with managed account platforms, asset management operations, proposal generation, account opening, portfolio accounting, performance reporting and trading is a plus.
• Experience with Morningstar products, services and data preferred.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity