Product Manager-Morningstar Index Technology/ Operations
The Group: The Index business leverages Morningstar's intellectual property to create indexes that empower investors to achieve their goals at every stage of the investment process—market monitoring, benchmarking, and asset allocation. The unit offers a broad suite of global equity, bond, commodity and asset allocation indexes.
The Role: The Morningstar Index team is looking for an execution-focused Product Manager to join us. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with the financial services industry with an emphasis on portfolio construction, calculation, and data dissemination. We are seeking an assertive, detail-oriented leader who can work directly and effectively in a highly collaborative, Agile software development setting.
Through an internal technology platform Morningstar Indexes provides portfolio maintenance, calculation, and data distribution services to the asset management industry. These asset managers actively replicate Morningstar Index portfolios and require institutional quality and timely information.
The individual in this role will have requisite skills and experience to manage the technology platform that services our downstream clients. In this role, you will work directly with our development and business teams to manage and lead the discovery, analysis, and documentation of requirements for development projects, and sprint-to-sprint prioritization of work. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Gain a deep understanding of Morningstar Index customers, the index product lifecycle and the supporting technology platform and generate solutions that provide business value.
• Drive Morningstar’s Agile Scrum framework.
• Contribute to product strategy, incorporating business objectives and delivering value to clients.
• Communicate long-term vision and short-term commitments to key internal stakeholders.
• Research, write, create artifacts to communicate product strategies and roadmaps for use by squads, management, and key internal stakeholders.
• Develop business cases to create, evaluate and communicate product strategies.
• Collaborate with engineers, business analysts and quality assurance analysts to deliver high quality solutions.
• Define and communicate product level key performance indicators and goals.
• Foster a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and constructive debate.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree or equivalent preferred.
• At least four to five years of product management experience required. Knowledge and experience with Agile software development and technical acumen are key.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and passion for investments, including stocks, indexes, funds and ETFs.
• Ability to communicate and commit to timelines for product delivery.
• Management or team leadership experience in an Agile environment
• Interest in and focus on building innovative software that users love.
• Strong problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment while delivering high-quality work.
• Ability to lead team decision-making processes and foster an environment of teamwork.
• Excellent oral and written communication, technical, planning, and analytical skills.
• Self-directed and detail-oriented.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.