Product Manager for Investment Planning Capabilities
The Group: Morningstar's Financial Planning capabilities team builds modern software that helps individuals and their advisors create, invest for, and achieve financial goals.
Backed by Morningstar's independent research, methodologies, high-quality data, behavioral science and innovative product design, our solutions guide individuals, and further empower their advisors, in setting realistic goals and expectations, building goal-focused investment portfolios, and staying on track to meet their objectives.
Our Investment Planning (IP) workflow capabilities specifically are designed to support the portfolio construction process for advised investors, including goal entry, risk tolerance questionnaire, model selection, adjustments and proposal.
The Role: We are seeking a Product Manager who will support the maintenance and optimization of our in-market IP applications, as well as own the roadmap, prioritization and development of new features and functionalities for our next-generation IP solutions.
This involves stewardship of existing IP capabilities as well as translation of market trends and opportunities, customer needs, competitive intelligence and Morningstar intellectual property into new software experiences. It requires close collaboration with a cross-functional, global network of Morningstar business/product owners and other stakeholders, along with UX and UI designers, user researchers and engineers to drive all phases of the IP product lifecycle from conceptualization and definition to build and deployment to maintenance and enhancement, and eventually sun-setting.
Specifically, you will be responsible for managing the product backlog, and writing/prioritizing Agile-development stories, balancing in-market product and client needs with new development priorities. The ideal candidate will not only grasp the key business goals, but also dive into IP tool mechanics, including data and methodology dependencies, to drive development forward.
This position reports to the director of product management for Financial Planning and is based out of our headquarters in Chicago, with core development in Shenzhen and product stakeholders and additional development teams in Europe.
• Set roadmap and own product backlog for IP solutions
• Gather requirements, write stories, and manage scope, priority and overall delivery of enhancements, incremental features and new functionalities
• Work closely with designers and developers to ensure that new functionality is delivered on time and to specification
• Facilitate collaboration between the product and other teams to ensure client-integration issues are resolved swiftly
• Perform initial investigation and triage of defects related to relevant features or content
• Minimum of bachelor's degree is required; advanced degree preferred
• 5+ years of experience as a business analyst or product manager
• Experience with investment planning software
• Demonstrated domain knowledge in financial/investment data
• Knowledge of software development methodologies, specifically Agile
• Ability to motivate a collaborative, cross-functional team with a track record for quality, on-time deliveries
• Willingness to connect with global colleagues at off-hours
• Ability to think strategically when it comes to understanding client requirements, problem solving, and project management skills
• Strong written and verbal English-language skills
• Experience with cloud-based solutions is a plus
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.