Product Designers at Neighborhoods.com are focused on understanding user-facing problems and exploring innovative approaches to solving them. This role works to clearly identify and solution opportunities in the problem space, designing interactive solutions across web, mobile app, and other digital media. You’ll be responsible for designing delightful user experiences, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and creating user interfaces that solve users pain points. You must have a keen eye for typography, color and shape, excellent collaboration and communication skills. This role collaborates with our entire team including Designers, UX Researchers, Project Managers, Front-End Engineers, Back-End Engineers, Marketing and Content. Our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. Join us in accomplishing that.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Designing projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches
- Defining problems & goals, mapping user flows, prototyping interactions, and overseeing the building process across different client platforms
- Building your understanding of customer problems to create elegant but practical solutions
- Applying your knowledge and experience across a range of design approaches, methodologies and lo-fi & hi-fi prototyping skills
- Taking initiative to identify problems and act on opportunities to improve the product offering
- Managing and working on multiple projects concurrently
- Inspiring a culture of design/lean thinking, user advocacy, accountability and collaboration through independent contribution and consulting as a subject matter expert.
- Facilitating rapid iteration of products, and often presenting many solutions to a design problem to illustrate different approaches for feedback and iteration to show product flows, facilitate shared understanding, and directly collect user feedback.
Required Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years of product design, user interface, interactive, visual or graphic design experience and delivery in digital mediums.
- A portfolio showcasing work that demonstrates critical thought process, digital cross-platform experience, and how product design adds business value.
- Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, latest design tools and demonstrated ability in creating shared understanding in cross-functional teams.
- Basic understanding of HTML and other web languages.
- Deep understanding and proficiency in user-centered design best practices, cross-browser compatibility, UI patterns across platforms and designing inclusively for users of all abilities.
- A strong conceptual and visual thinker, you are a team player who has the ability to seamlessly shift between working independently and collaboratively.
- Deadline oriented with good organizational skills.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills with the ability to articulate your design decisions clearly and to a variety of audiences.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor of Arts or Science degree with a focus in Human-Computer Interaction, Graphic Design, User Experience, Product Design, Interactive Design or other related field.
- Experience in conducting UX research, conducting surveys and synthesizing insights.
- Experience in UI Design and leveraging motion, animation and transitions to reinforce clarity, usability & brand tone and voice.
- Print design experience
Benefits & Perks:
- Excellent health insurance options, plus a generous company contribution to premiums
- 401K with match
- Parental leave programs
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Near public transit - close to Ogilvie & Union Stations
- Kitchen stocked with snacks & great coffee
- Cold brew coffee & craft beer on tap
- Flexible vacation policy
- Casual dress code
- Competitive salary based on level of experience
- Opportunities to participate in and/or lead volunteer and charity initiatives
- Transparent and approachable leadership and management