Director of Analytics Products
The Group: The Products group is the home of manufacturing and innovation at Morningstar. The individuals in this group transform our high-quality data, independent research, and technological expertise into well-designed products that delight our clients. The group’s product management, product development, and service teams collaborate with our Client Solutions group to help provide clients with relevant products and bundled solutions.
The Role: Have you been searching for an opportunity to make a real impact leveraging your passion for analytics and technical product skills? Morningstar is looking for a talented director to lead our Analytics Product Group (APG) on the product management side and with overall capability vision and direction. The APG team is responsible for technical capabilities like our Data Lake and Analytics Platform, and product capabilities such as our Risk Model, Investor Pulse, and Data Catalyst software. This suite of product services delivers financial professionals meaningful insights from data, arming them with the tools to make better investing decisions.
As Director, you will be responsible for establishing and delivering the product development roadmap for your services. You will develop high-level business requirements, and be steward of the product management discipline for your team. It will be important to act as both product expert and strategist to translate market trends, customer needs, competitive intelligence, and Morningstar intellectual property into innovative deliverables that solve user problems, and evangelize those innovations internally and externally. You’ll draw product requirements from and be a partner to quantitative research, data science, technology, and design. This role has a matrix personnel management responsibility over a small team of product managers, and indirect leadership of the broader cross-functional development and delivery team. This role reports to the Head of Product Capabilities, and is based in our Chicago office.
- Own the product development strategy, roadmap, prioritization, value proposition, and product development lifecycle for Analytics Products.
- Work with software product, technology, and research leaders from across the organization, as partners, to develop a product vision that supports and advances their goals.
- Develop business requirements refined and validated with customers, prioritize conflicting work, and work within an Agile software development framework.
- Oversee the success and reporting of internal product integrations for your services.
- Use data for development and testing of hypotheses, managing with KPIs and measurements of product success (e.g. uptime, user satisfaction, quality, time to market, etc.), and guiding next steps.
- Collaborate as a unified cross-functional team inspired by a common vision, and evangelize this vision across teams to create excitement and shared success with the broader organization.
- Work with cross-functional leaders to determine technology, design, and project management resource requirements to execute product strategy and delivery on commitments.
- Matrix manage and support the careers of a small team of product managers.
- A bachelor’s degree in finance, mathematics, computer science or related technical field is required; a graduate degree is preferred.
- A minimum of ten years of relevant and progressive experience in product management, engineering, or data science—preferably a combination of these.
- Strong technical acumen and ability to communicate well with quantitative analysis and technologists.
- Hands-on data analysis experience working with large volumes of data, data quality, model creation and analysis.
- Knowledge and experience with Agile development.
- A passion for building software users love.
- Excellent oral and written communication, planning, and analytical skills.
- Willingness to collaborate with offshore development teams during off-hours.
- Ability to motivate and grow a collaborative, cross-functional team with a track record for quality, on-time deliveries.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.