Senior Manager, Taxonomy, Zoro
Location: Chicago or Buffalo Grove, IL
In the past seven years, Zoro has grown from a group of 6 people working out of a 2,000 square foot building, offering fewer than 100,000 products to a group of 275+ working out of a 60,000+ square foot building, offering more than 2,000,000 unique products.
As the Senior Manager, Taxonomist, you will have a unique opportunity to lead the taxonomy effort for a rapidly growing B2B e-commerce site. The taxonomists will be focused on finalizing a new master product taxonomy, and creating the information architecture strategy to support the site hierarchies. This will all be built within a new installation of a Product Information Management (PIM) platform. The Senior Product Taxonomist will be a member of the Product Content team reporting to the Director of Product Information Management.
- Develop and evolve the product taxonomy strategies to maintain a logical master product hierarchy, search and marketing hierarchies, as well as the mapped relations between them.
- Outline and enunciate a vision for flexible hierarchies that will support fast-paced sku expansion and attribution.
- Create and maintain processes and procedures to oversee tag management.
- Partner with Searchandising team to build and maintain a cohesive site navigation experience.
- Incorporate a taxonomy strategy that refreshes site hierarchies, attribute types and content options to best support ever-improving search and conversion.
- Support the build out of collections and other sku groups to support merchandising and marketing needs.
- Collaboratively lead efforts to support customer experiences that adapt and reuse product content including architecture supporting personalization.
- Partner within Product Content team to implement processes that audit, correct and expand product content.
- Collaborate with business and technical teams to develop taxonomy management processes and tools as necessary.
- As our taxonomy needs grow, you will be responsible for recruiting, hiring and leading an experienced and nimble taxonomy team.
- Interpersonal skill set that advocates solutions in support of merchandising with a balanced approach to logical product hierarchies.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Architecture, Library Science, or related field.
- 5-7 years developing and managing product taxonomies.
- 2 years managing a team responsible for multiple product taxonomies.
- Experience building new taxonomies including hierarchical trees, attributes, other metadata, and the linkage to adjacent taxonomies.
- Established approach to product classification with a combination of hierarchy, attributes, and tags.
- Understanding of tools for building and leading taxonomy and metadata; ability to work with and mentor tools engineers to build support for taxonomy and metadata requirements into the content strategy, authoring, and analytics tools.
- Experience with varied product conditions, as well as architecture supporting site personalization.
- E-commerce taxonomy experience desired.
- Familiarity with Product Information Management (PIM) platforms.
- Cross-functional experience with remote teams.
- Experience supporting, balancing, and gaining alignment among requests from multiple teams dependent on the same taxonomies.
- Knowledge of SEO product metadata strategy and management.
- A driven self-starter with a coaching leadership style.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.