Principal Solutions Architect
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Accountable for proactively and holistically leading activities, consultation, and documentation that guide the application development community through a portfolio of technology components and varying deployment patterns. Works collaboratively to design, document, and request delivery of multiple concurrent, highly technical, and financially visible complex projects. These projects will leverage multi-platform and multi-site/zone infrastructure environments.
The Cloud Solution Architect is an exciting role that has one foot planted in cloud security and the other in DevOps / Automation. This is a fast-paced role, well suited for someone who enjoys keeping their existing technical skills honed and developing new ones; so you can make strong contributions to deep architecture discussions. As a member of the Solutions Architecture team, this individual will be responsible for requirements gathering, design, and high-level socialization of complex infrastructure solutions needed to solve an IT/business problem. The ideal candidate must be self-motivated with a proven track record in software/technology consulting. The ability to connect technology with measurable business value is critical to a solutions architect. You should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, products, and technical challenges.
Your broad responsibilities will include: owning the technical engagement and ultimate success around specific implementation projects; defining implementation architectures, responding to questions, developing a deep expertise in cloud technologies as well as broad know-how around how applications and services are constructed using the cloud (AWS platform). The scope of this role includes heavy participation in technical and non-technical project meetings, development of presentation quality technical documentation, creative conflict and issue resolution, and communication of design criteria and direction across all levels of IT management. A candidate must have high-level communication skills and be comfortable working with internal customers, management, technical staff, and external vendors to assess needs, requirements, and design standard/custom infrastructure solutions as necessary.
- Derives, challenges, and is able to comprehend and speak to detailed IT customer/application requirements.
- Works collaboratively to design, document, and request delivery of, multi-platform and multi-site/zone infrastructure environments.
- Manages multiple project engagements and priorities autonomously and in parallel.
- Proactively seeks out and works to solve/avoid technical issues before project timelines are impacted.
- Understands, communicates, and challenges standards and processes where appropriate.
- Maintains working knowledge of IT industry and trends.
- Standing up demonstration and proof-of-concept systems, and achieving ultimate success around specific technical projects.
- Comfortable working on agile-based teams comprised of team members with diverse skill-sets (e.g. Quality Assurance Engineers, User Experience Designers, Software Engineers / Architects).
- AWS, Azure, or Google public cloud experience in a production environment is a plus.
- Understand cloud methodologies and technologies and be able to design and implement in Amazon Web Services.
- Experience with the Infrastructure as Code (e.g. Chef, CloudFormation, Terraform, Puppet, Ansible).
- History of communicating complex technical issues and concepts to different audiences and/or levels of company employees and adapting style and tone as required.
- Experience negotiating, persuading, and driving issues to resolution. Builds support and agreement by engaging all interested parties and understanding their perspective(s)
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field, multiple technology areas
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field, multiple technology areas
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!