Director, Global IT Operations
The Team: The IT Operations team is responsible for building technologies and processes to ensure our global products are highly available. The IT operations team consists of talented developers, DevOPS engineers, and IT experts who are responsible for Monitoring tools, Release engineering, Change and Incident Management. Our technologists represent a range of skills and knowledge. They view technology as a craft and care deeply about creating positive user experiences. From Agile methodologies to mobile applications, to software as a service (SaaS) delivered from our private cloud, we push technology boundaries to build scalable, elegant solutions that help investors reach their financial goals.
The Role: Director, Global Technology Operations provides strategic direction for, including application operations and support, monitoring, incident and change management. Functions include: ITSM functions (Change, Service Level, problem and incident management), Asset and Software License Management, Vendor Management, Application Operations, Application Monitoring, Production Deployment Control, Cloud Management and DevOps. This position will provide strategic direction driving improved client satisfaction, faster speed to market, cost optimization and organizational efficiency, and monitoring the relative impact of IT industry trends to current and future enterprise needs and capabilities. The ability to work and coordinate projects between internal departments and manage strategic planning is required. Strong relationships with IT and Development departments and the business are critical to success. This positions success will be based on strong operational performance based on strong process and metrics management, client focus, and ongoing continuous improvement.
- Ensure that delivery of IT Operations functions and services are performed to agreed standards and measured through key KPIs
- Facilitate design/re-design of IT Operations services, functions and infrastructure to as we migrate to the public cloud and move to a DevOPS culture.
- Periodic and proactive reviews of IT Operations function and services to ensure they are fit for purpose, relevant and meet the needs of the business
- Partner with development teams and IT operations team to build operationally robust applications and ensure we have appropriate operations support from resourcing to monitoring
- Direct the team, contributing as appropriate, to ensure management of new data downloads, backups, ensure data accuracy & completeness, and creating and updating documentation
- Design, deploy and support solutions for problems such as high availability and high throughput
- Focus on automation: this includes partnering with Engineering team to automate deployment and configuration management, quality (including functional and capacity testing), and reaction to problems
- Constantly evaluate trends in the Technical Operations space and design programs to ensure we’re adapting as the industry changes from a skill set and technology perspective
- Training of new Operations Engineers and continued support and training for more experienced engineers
- Responsible for Incident management, tracking issues from discovery to resolution and next steps. Analyze data firm-wide to understand key themes and provide long-term solutions
- Responsible for Change Management process
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical discipline with strong academic credentials.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization, working across development and product teams to meet enterprise goals
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills
- 10+ years in a leadership position
- Experience of working both independently and collaboratively in a fast paced, demanding IT environment.
- 5+ years knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems and PC/server hardware.
- Demonstrable experience of automation technologies
- Experience with Enterprise monitoring and CI/CD tools.
- Broad understanding of IP communications and technologies.
- Knowledge of network stacks, protocols, and monitoring tools
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity