Director of Advisor Platforms
The Group: The Products group is the home of manufacturing and innovation at Morningstar. The individuals in this group transform our high-quality data, independent research, and technological expertise into well-designed products that delight our clients. The group’s product management, product development, and service teams collaborate with our Client Solutions group to help provide clients with relevant products and bundled solutions.
The Role: Morningstar is looking for a Director of Advisor Platforms to lead the development and evolution of our portfolio accounting and performance reporting capabilities in the advisor segment. You will be responsible for defining our roadmap within this space and leading the execution of that roadmap across development teams. This will include developing products that meet the needs of all advisor segments across the US. If you are looking for an exciting role that combines deep subject matter expertise with the opportunity to build software users love for the advisor segment, this might be the role for you!
As Director, you will be responsible for establishing and delivering the product development roadmap for your services. You will develop high-level business requirements and be steward of the product management discipline for your team. It will be important to act as both product expert and strategist to translate market trends, customer needs, competitive intelligence, and Morningstar intellectual property into innovative deliverables that solve user problems, and evangelize those innovations internally and externally. This role has personnel management responsibility over a small team of product managers/owners spanning multiple products, and indirect leadership of the broader cross-functional development and delivery team. This is a product development role, and we are looking for someone passionate about building software users love. The ideal candidate will have experience working with leading portfolio accounting software and a track record of successfully developing products within the advisor segment. This role reports to the Head of Product Capabilities and is based in our Chicago office.
- Define the product development roadmap for all portfolio accounting/performance reporting products and manage the delivery of roadmap items through the product development lifecycle.
- Develop business requirements refined and validated with customers, prioritize conflicting work, and work within an Agile software development framework to deliver continuous improvements to products.
- Devise and implement an integration strategy that enable our clients to integrate their data across a partner ecosystem that serves their distinct workflow needs.
- Use data for development and testing of hypotheses, managing with KPIs and measurements of product success (e.g. customer satisfaction, quality, time to market, etc.), and guiding next steps.
- Lead a unified cross-functional team inspired by a common vision, and evangelize this vision across teams to create excitement and shared success with the broader organization.
- Gather requirements from business and strategy partners that support commercial goals. Coordinate design, technology, and project management resources to execute and deliver on commitments.
- Manage and support the careers of a small team of product managers.
- A bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, computer science or related field is required; a graduate degree is preferred. CFP is a plus.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of relevant and progressive experience in product management.
- Knowledge and experience with Agile development, and good technical acumen are plus.
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise in portfolio accounting and performance reporting best practices, with knowledge of the broader financial advisory landscape.
- Superb attention to data quality, calculation methodology, and financial accounting.
- Knowledge of Morningstar products and the markets they serve is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication, planning, and analytical skills.
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines across multiple teams and locations with off-shore calls.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.