Sr. Director of Product Marketing
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need a talented person like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
GREAT, SO WHAT’S THE JOB?
Jellyvision is looking to bring on its first official Sr. Director of Product Marketing who will be responsible for communicating the value of our ever evolving, ever improving ALEX software platform to our growing set of clients, now currently at over 1,300 (including 116 of the Fortune 500).
At the highest level, the goal of this role is to define our strategic framework, target audiences, and go to market positioning for ALEX and our new line extensions, and to oversee the successful translation of strategic insight into our sales and marketing tools, tactics, and activities.
In addition to being a product expert, the Sr. Director of Product Marketing will know our various customer persona types like they’re family (who they are, what they feel, why they buy, what shows they binge watch, etc.) so that everyone at Jellyvision can empathize with and serve them best. This role will also know our competitors better than anyone else at the company and will help determine how to position and bundle our products to win against them. As the Director of Product Marketing is helping marketers spread the good word of ALEX by figuring out the right story, this role will be the ears and eyes for the product management team, collecting market and customer information so this team can understand clients’ needs and the problems to solve.
SO WHAT KIND OF PERSON ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?
We’re looking for a talented product marketer with proven success marketing and evangelizing B2B tech products or services; bonus points if you have experience marketing software-as-a-service products; 2x bonus points if you’ve done it in non-boring ways; 3x if you have product development or product management experience. But let’s not stop there. We need someone who is customer-obsessed, and someone who can think with both the left and right sides of their brain. We’re going to lean towards people who are entrepreneurial, but fully realize you can be entrepreneurial at a big company and bureaucratic at a small one, which is why your thoughtful cover letter will be such an important part of your application.
In a nutshell, we’re looking for a person who is:
- Expert at leading and developing successful, innovative product marketing strategies for various customer segments. Our product portfolio is growing, as are our customer types and distribution channels. You’ll help define and drive the go-to-market strategies for our products, define and develop our customer personas, and help shape the messaging that gets the attention of our buyers so that they say, “I need ALEX.”
- Comfortable being the go-to hub of product communication and market expertise. You’ll be constantly digging in and learning about markets, customers and competitors, and you’ll feel uneasy if someone else knows more than you do about these things. You’ll want to be always helpful in making the product, marketing and sales teams smarter. You’ll collect information all the time in all ways: by sitting in on sales calls, talking with customers, attending conferences and staying current on industry news. You may also be called on to show your product marketing cred at conferences or through other speaking engagements.
- A master-level storyteller, able to synthesize data, market trends and anecdotes into stories that can be easily understood and put to good use by internal stakeholders. You’ll be responsible for teasing out the signals from the noise and put them into various formats that will be used by sales, product and marketing to make better decisions and help our customers see the value of our products. Everything from demo videos, to product pitches, to case studies to summary one sheeters, to competitor slay sheets to web pages, to whatever you come up with will be in your toolkit. You can craft messages that challenge the conventional mindset and that connect emotionally and financially. ROI is not a foreign concept to you. And neither is the arc of a good story. And don’t worry, you’ll have some of the finest creative talent to help bring your plans to life.
- Focused on reaching lofty product and sales goals in a team atmosphere. This is not an academic, “set a strategy and hope that it works” kind of job. Jellyvision has some pretty challenging sales goals and product initiatives, and to reach them you’ll have to work side by side with the people who are working hard to achieve them. You’ll take input from all sorts of people, be ok zigging when you see your zag isn’t working and figure out priorities when different team members have conflicting needs.
- Biased towards action and doesn’t require much guidance. We’re moving pretty fast, and you’ll need to be comfortable choosing a point of view and a path forward with imperfect data.
- A servant leader – a good listener, humble, helpful, enabling, team oriented. We’re a humble crew. Our product and our company mission is about helping people, and you’ve got to have the right amount of wit and Jellyvision charm to fit in.
ANYTHING ELSE? Yes. We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching, and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga and meditation classes? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!