Senior Manager, Media Relations
The Mindset: At Morningstar, we are serious about candidates who are serious about disruptive thinking, especially as it applies to traditional and non-traditional communication and media approaches. If you are a talented communications professional who finds yourself considering solutions to complex issues that extend well beyond PR into marketing, social media or even helping our business, we want to meet you. We want to meet you if you want to be part of an entrepreneurial Corporate Communications team at a FinTech company with global resources but a distinct U.S. presence. You should be able to connect big picture thinking and understand why we do what we do and turn that into a provocative storyline to traditional and non-traditional media. Additionally, you should be unafraid to geek out over our outstanding researching and date as well as our products, solutions and services and all of its many financial services industry, behavioral and cultural implications.
The Team: The Corporate Communications department is part of Morningstar’s Marketing & Communications team and is responsible for media relations, internal communications, and community outreach to support Morningstar’s mission and strengthen the company’s brand and reputation.
The Role: We’re looking for a passionate and energetic idea generator who can partner with all areas of the business to tell our story externally. You should ideally have connections with the financial services industry, FinTech, and FinComm media, but know that we want more than a walking contact list. We are looking for someone who can understand complex businesses and technologies and mine them for stories that reporters and editors want.
As Senior Manager, you’ll be supporting our communications team to help strategize and execute global media campaigns, shape our organization’s narratives, and train executives and others throughout Morningstar. We are seeking strong, strategic minds who can diagnose communication needs and serve as a liaison to key press with excellent writing and editing skills. This position offers a terrific opportunity for growth and is based in Chicago.
- Work closely with Global Head of Corporate Communications and lead the U.S. Media Relations team to own and develop new and existing internal relationships, cultivate new external media contacts, and serve as an integral contact for media
- Provide communications counsel to our business partners with confidence, including counsel on interacting with broadcast, print, online press and social media commentators
- Draft wide-range of materials with minimal editing help – from press materials, PR plans to support business and reputation objectives, and talking points
- Bring a creative and non-traditional approach to the development and execution of PR campaigns
- Balance a large and varied workload while building excellent working relationships with business partners and teams across the company
- Bachelor’s degree with 6-10 years of experience in corporate communications and media relations
- PR experience in Financial Services industry (FinComm/FinTech)
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership qualities; ability to take initiative as a roll-up-your-sleeves leader and “doer”
- Employ a strategic approach to determining the right mix of communication channels
- Passion for Morningstar’s mission of creating great products that help investors reach their financial goals
- Ability to juggle many balls flawlessly and still meet deadlines
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.