Director of Communications
What We Do
Uptake is the premier Industrial AI company, providing a predictive analytics SaaS platform that empowers major industry leaders to optimize performance, reduce asset failures and enhance safety. At Uptake, we combine our strengths—machine learning, analytics, data visualization and software development—with the expertise of our industrial customers and partners. The result is enormous savings in development time and resources for every user of Uptake’s industrial applications and enterprise AI and IoT platform. In the end, we help solve our customers hardest problems, help them re-image their businesses in an AI-first world, ultimately capitalizing on the promise of the digital transformation.
What You'll Do:
Uptake is looking to bolster its communications team by hiring a Director of Communications based in our Chicago headquarters. The ideal candidate will have between 8 and 10 years of strong operational experience in B2B communications, having focused on trade, industry and business press for several years. Agency experience preferred but not required.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Profile raising of the company in the trade, industry and business press and work with Chief Communications Officer on media strategy and handling.
- Aid in crafting messaging and content development that tells our story and speaks to a range of third-party audiences from influencers, to prospects to media.
- Strong logistics management.
- Communications plan development including preparation of strategic communications documents, talking points, Q&As, rollout plans and media backgrounders, etc.
- Planning and executing company announcements and ensuring the wider marketing and communications team are in lock-step on all facets of announcement strategy.
- Ensure our message is consistent, clear and concise across the company.
- Manage the development of key documents and play a vital role in drafting and editing content.
- Conduct and support the development of research into impactful issues that affect our customers.
- Organize media meetings and logistics and continue developing a network of journalists relevant to Uptake’s business.
- Manage inbound media and event inquiries along with proactive planning for all outbound media initiatives.
- Work with CCO to develop executive PoVs and thought leadership areas of expertise.
- Work in-tandem with marketing team on media-focused elements connected to lead-gen campaigns.
- Support employee engagement program and work with other teams collaboratively.
- Create mechanisms for measurement of communications campaigns and efforts
- Oversees the company’s robust awards program, assists with events and speaking engagements and support employee engagement program. (CNBC Disruptor 50, Forbes Cloud 100, Fortune Best Workplaces and more.)
- Develop quarterly and annual strategic communications plans.
- Assist with events and speaking engagements including, but not limited to, handling media relations with attending press, prepping leadership for panels and speeches, helping to coordinate Uptake’s overall presence and messaging on-site.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Superior analytical, organizational, and execution skills.
- Relationships with tier one business and technology press along with trade and industry sought.
- Experience in translating technical content and product information into useful messaging for non-technical audiences.
- Experience managing and creating the whole spectrum of communications materials (press releases, press plans, contributed content, speeches, award nominations, fact sheets, etc.) to communicate our value proposition to relevant third parties.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Work collaboratively across all departments to support colleagues.
- Engage team members in a positive and productive manner; take an active interest in team members’ development and impart lessons learned.
- Proactively assume additional responsibility.
- 8-10 years’ experience in B2B public relations, ideally focused on enterprise technology
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Problem-solving abilities
- Ability to think strategically and creatively
- Energetic team player
- B2B communications experience in artificial intelligence, IoT, Big Data or analytics preferred but not required
- Having worked at a start-up or high-growth company preferred but not required
Why Work Here
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We’re flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We’re also proud to be one of Chicago’s best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.