Senior Counsel, Litigation
About Guaranteed Rate:
Guaranteed Rate is eighth largest retail mortgage lender in the U.S. The company has become The Home Purchase Experts® by offering industry-leading self-service tools and low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service. Headquartered in Chicago with approximately 4,000+ employees in 300+ offices across the U.S. and licensed in all 50 states, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with more than $20 billion in home purchase loans and refinances in the past year.
Guaranteed Rate is building a winning team to reinvent the mortgage experience through innovation, technology and a relentless focus on providing industry-leading mortgage products and superlative customer service. The Senior Counsel will embrace and support these efforts by working to pursue claims and resolve disputes as appropriate through negotiation, arbitration or litigation. This is not a traditional in-house litigation management role. The Company’s litigation team regularly handles a wide-variety of litigation matters with little to no outside counsel involvement. The ideal candidate will be ready to litigate on Day 1 and able to work independently, solve problems creatively, prioritize relentlessly, exercise business judgment soundly, and operate with a sense of urgency to get things done. Accordingly, the Senior Counsel must be sufficiently experienced and ready to quickly assume responsibility for litigation matters. The Senior Counsel will work closely with leadership and support all levels of management.
- Conduct legal research and draft memos, position statements, complaints, answers, briefs, motions and other litigation and arbitration filings.
- Represent the Company in hearings, administrative proceedings, arbitrations, litigation and settlement negotiations.
- Handle all aspects of discovery, including drafting and responding to discovery requests, collecting and reviewing documents, and taking and defending depositions.
- Draft and respond to cease and desist letters, demand letters and subpoenas.
- Negotiate and resolve pre-litigation disputes.
- Advise human resources team and management regarding arbitration, litigation and employment matters, including compliance with all applicable employment laws and regulations.
- Conduct internal investigations as appropriate.
- Engage and manage outside counsel for required expertise and more complex litigation matters.
- Flag and escalate appropriate matters to other subject matter experts in the legal department, including the regulatory compliance team.
- Handle other legal matters as assigned by management.
- At least 6 years of litigation experience.
- Significant court room and arbitration experience and experience regularly appearing before various administrative agencies (i.e., DOL, EEOC, state agencies).
- Extensive knowledge of employment laws and experience advising management on litigation and matters.
- Knowledge of labor and employment laws and wage and hour laws is strongly preferred.
- Prior financial services or real estate industry experience, especially mortgage transactions and regulatory experience, a significant advantage.
- Positive, team-first attitude.
- Can-do “roll up your sleeves” mindset.
- Sound business judgment and ability to strike right balance between legal risks and business goals.
- Willingness to learn the business and build strong relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Self-motivated with strong work ethic and intense desire to win.
- Clear, concise and persuasive oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work constructively, collaboratively and cross functionally.
- Proven track record of multi-tasking and working under a heavy workload with changing priorities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Resilient with a sense of humor.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school.
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state and must be able to become licensed in Illinois. Illinois bar members preferred.
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason, as protected by law.