Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy & Regulatory
Are You Ready For A Massive Professional Challenge?
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy & Regulatory is a key part of the legal department’s global Regulatory & Privacy team and advises Groupon’s global enterprise on U.S. and international privacy, data security, and, as necessary, regulatory matters. This person will collaborate and work cross-functionally across the legal department and multiple business units, including product, marketing, engineering, information security, sales, and other departments daily. This is an exciting and potentially transformational role within a global function positioned for long-term success.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
- Be our key advisor on US and international privacy and data security laws, with particular focus on the GDPR, the e-Privacy Regulation/Directive, cross-border data transfer frameworks, and other applicable data privacy frameworks
- You will support, as directed, Groupon’s EU Data Protection Officer with GDPR and other compliance requirements in the EU
- Aid the commercial team by advising on data protection agreement templates
- Assist in the negotiation of privacy and data security provisions in a wide-range of contracts/agreements
- Help support the Information Security team by ensuring compliance with applicable data security administrative, physical and technical safeguards
- Work closely with the engineering leadership on global privacy compliance and new initiatives
- Manage relationships cross-functionally to resolve individual privacy compliance issues/questions, assessing causes, developing corrective actions, and ensuring consistent application of corrective actions
- Support M&A diligence and related projects, as needed
- Actively manage select outside counsel and other external resources
- JD with an active bar membership is required
- 6-8+ years experience at a reputable law firm and/or corporate legal department
- Extensive hands-on experience with US and EU privacy and data security laws, specifically GDPR, e-Privacy, cross-border data transfer frameworks, and applicable US data privacy laws
- Experience with online, mobile and eCommerce issues is strongly preferred
- Proven international experience preferred, particularly in the EU
- Work closely with local and international departments
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.