Legal Billing Specialist
Who We Are:
Named one a Best Workplace by both Crain's and Inc. Magazine, Smokeball was founded by technology leaders with more than 20 years of experience in delivering impactful legal technology products. Our leadership continually strives to develop a company, culture, and team that share a profound love for the law and are compelled to help small law firms find success. Our mission isn’t simple, but it is straightforward: help small law firms be successful businesses so that they can better serve our communities.
What We Need:
Onboarding onto a new billing platform is a stressful experience for our clients. To help alleviate that stress, we need someone who knows all about the world of legal billing that can guide our clients through these changes to make their billing transition as seamless as possible. Our ideal candidate will have both technical experience with legal billing software, as well as the ability to train others on how to use billing software.
Over the course of a week, your responsibilities could include:
- Working with clients intending to transition to Smokeball’s billing tool by assessing needs, mapping out the transition plan, and providing thorough training.
- Consulting with clients who are already using Smokeball’s billing tool by investigating their problems, determining the source, and recommending possible solutions.
- Training peers on the world of legal billing and assisting with their understanding of Smokeball’s billing tool.
- Developing, maintaining, and improving training programs, materials, and quick reference guides.
- Improving Smokeball billing usage through proactive communication.
- Collaborating and working with Account Managers and Onboarding Specialists to ensure clients are tracking toward ongoing success in the billing tool.
Who You Are:
Company culture is the single most important ingredient to our success at Smokeball. Our core values hang on our walls, are listed in our handbook, and are discussed regularly. Our office thrives on positive feedback from our clients and team members alike and we really, really love small love firms. As a member of the team, it is expected that you will care for your colleagues and our clients from day one and that you will work hard to identify areas we can improve in both aspects. We expect open communication, an open mind, and mad ping-pong skills (okay, not a requirement but definitely a plus).
What You Bring:
- 2-3 years of prior legal billing experience at a firm with less than 50 employees.
- Experience with bank reconciliations, Quickbooks, and overall legal accounting practices.
- Ability to understand, develop, and communicate technical information to nontechnical users.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills necessary to train clients including a friendly, cheerful, and courteous demeanor.
- Ability and motivation to learn and expand own skills and expertise.
What We Offer:
- Culture: Crain’s 2019 Best Workplaces and Inc. Magazine’s 2018 Best Workplaces
- Work-Life Balance: 20 vacation days, 6 sick days, 10 paid holidays, birthday off, volunteer time
- Benefits: 401(k) match, gym reimbursement, generous parental leave, WFH opportunities, etc.
- Massages: Free monthly massages provided by a licensed massage therapist
- Kitchens: Stocked with breakfast items, snacks, and beverages
- Happy Hours: Both in the office and at fun bars in the area
- Games: Ping-pong, billiards, pop-a-shot, board games, video games, etc.
- Transit: We’re located in downtown Chicago
*Smokeball is an equal opportunity employer