Corporate Counsel, Privacy & Regulatory
Are you motivated by the thrill of creating new business relationships, and love working in a fast-paced, forward-thinking environment?
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
The Corporate Counsel, Privacy & Regulatory will play a meaningful role in advising our global enterprise on U.S. and international privacy, data security, and regulatory matters. As part of our global Privacy & Regulatory team, you will collaborate and work cross-functionally across the legal department and multiple business units, including product, marketing, engineering, information security, and sales. This position is wonderfully multi-faceted role with the opportunity to learn and grow within a team positioned for long-term success.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
- Actively monitor, brief, and advise on new legislative and regulatory developments impacting Groupon operations, including US, EMEA, and APAC privacy legislation
- You will support the investigation of and response to government inquiries, as directed
- Assist with and/or lead various aspects of Groupon’s ongoing GDPR compliance efforts
- You will support all business channels in evaluating regulatory risk and rendering practical advice to advance key business initiatives
- Assist in vendor due diligence and the negotiation of privacy and data security provisions in a wide range of agreements
- Conduct periodic and as-needed regulatory and privacy compliance audits and data privacy impact assessments
- You will take on other responsibilities in support of the team’s mission
- JD with an active bar membership
- 1-3+ years’ experience at a reputable law firm and/or corporate legal department
- Direct experience interfacing directly with state/federal agencies, investigatory bodies, and legislative institutions is strongly preferred
- Hands-on experience with US and/or EU privacy and data security laws and regulations, including the GDPR
- Experience with online, mobile, and eCommerce regulatory and privacy issues is helpful
- Experience with key regulatory frameworks in the eCommerce space, such as CAN-SPAM, CASL, and state/federal consumer protection laws is a bonus
- You are comfortable and effective working with diverse, distributed teams, whether local or virtual
- Display sound business judgment and ability to think creatively to render practical legal advice and solve complex business problems
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.