- Major Purpose
The Contract Specialist works to develop professional and accurate contract documents while meeting service level commitments. This position is responsible for creating contractual documents and managing them through the contract lifecycle adhering to company policy and procedures. They are responsible for ensuring that all business and legal terms and conditions are represented in the contract system for accurate reference and reporting. This position will ensure the integrity and validity of Grainger Industrial Supply sell side contracts utilizing their knowledge of legal terms and conditions while appropriately documenting any exceptions or out of policy approvals. Sales contracts include Grainger contract templates, customer generated contracts, amendments, renewals, rebate and incentive agreements, Data License Agreements and others.
- Major Responsibilities
- The Specialist will engage in the day to day activities of customer contracting, including:
- Centralized document control for all sell side contract preparation. Responsible for utilizing clause library for drafting and reviewing contract documents encompassing all legal and business terms and solutions.
- Preparing, reviewing, and revising drafts and executables of Grainger Industrial Supply purchasing agreements utilizing knowledge of legal terms and conditions to mitigate risk for Grainger. This includes administering the deal formation and concurrence process and approvals.
- Consistently meet individual and team goals for accuracy, cycle time and training metrics.
- Interfacing with Grainger’s Legal Department on “Custom” agreements and language for additional review, as needed.
- Participating in conference calls with other members of the Sales and Sales Support team, as necessary, during the contract negotiation, ensuring that decisions made during the calls conform to Grainger policy and standards. The Specialist will review, assess and process any changes required to the draft documents, and forward to team members.
- Collecting final signed documentation from field. Responsible for contract and business term activation including properly notifying Operations Team and Customer Life-cycle Management of completed contract so track code and pricing can be established. Completing documentation process in Contract System/Repository.
- With Customer Life-cycle Management, work through contract cancellation/expiration process. This includes completing contract expiration activities utilizing available tools to ensure documents are renewed or expired as well as communicating the need for removal of business terms with appropriate functional areas.
- Establish comprehensive knowledge of terms and conditions, company policy and standard operating procedures related to role. Responsible for policy and procedure training for new team members and continual cross training of current team members.
- Participate in and potentially manage special ad hoc projects related to contracting and proposals.
- Establish knowledge and expertise of other functional roles within Contracts & Proposals department to provide back up support for critical activity as needed to support the business.
- Participate in drumbeat team meetings to ensure understanding of policy, process and support clear lines of communication between team members.
- College degree or equivalent related experience
- Five years contracting or related experience preferred with working knowledge of legal terms and conditions
- Superior knowledge of Grainger’s sales and legal policies
- Excellent organizational and written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and proactively without supervision
- Manage time sensitive tasks in an appropriate time frame
- Handle large work load while maintaining high quality output
- Strong decision-making and trouble-shooting skills
- Proficiency in latest versions of MS Office and SAP
- Discretion when handling confidential documents is a required attribute
IV. Impact on the Organization
- Impact sales growth of large customers, through the creation of high quality and profitable contracts.
- Increase Sales Team face time with the customer, and enhance customer awareness and satisfaction.
- Minimize legal and business risk to Grainger through appropriate drafting, documentation, cancellation and renewal procedures.
V. Work Relationships
- Daily communication with Customer Life-Cycle Managers on customer opportunities.
- Works regularly with all levels of management within the Grainger Sales Organization.
- Continual interaction with Grainger’s Legal Department, including Assistant General Counsel and Senior Attorney.
- Interaction with Grainger’s Finance Department and other various Grainger departments as needed.