Compliance and Legal Operations Specialist
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of best-in-class proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
Born out of President Obama’s re-election campaign in 2012, Civis Analytics is a fast-growing data science technology and services company based in Chicago, IL. We help organizations make critical decisions rooted in the truths found in their data, and we’re proud to work on some of the world’s most meaningful projects -- many having real, positive impact on people’s lives. Over the past four years, we transformed our services into a comprehensive data science SaaS platform, upon which we built a suite of solutions that make our cutting-edge analytics available to a broad set of users in a wide range of industries (including media, entertainment, healthcare, government, and non-profits).
With Civis on the cutting edge of the information age, our Legal, Security, and Compliance Team tackles novel issues at the intersection of technology and data science. We’re seeking a smart, energetic, and highly-motivated compliance and legal operations specialist to join this team. You will be in our Chicago headquarters and report to our General Counsel. You'll be trusted with a wide range of compliance initiatives that span all parts of the company and serve as the critical foundation upon which we do our game-changing work. You’ll also be a driving force in scaling our LSC Team to ensure that we continue enabling and keeping pace with the company’s high rate of growth and innovation.
- Lead the development and implementation of compliance calendars and workflows
- Plan and coordinate activities across the organization, and with external auditors and service providers, to ensure compliance with corporate, regulatory, cybersecurity, contractual, and HR requirements
- Develop and lead cross-departmental initiatives to improve and streamline compliance efforts to ensure that Civis meets compliance requirements in the most efficient way possible
- Create and improve legal operation processes and workflows to help get things done better and faster. For example, this may involve the contracting process, facilitating cross-departmental communications, development of LSC team knowledge base, or the storage, retrieval, and sharing of corporate and commercial documents
- Create aggregate summaries of relevant legal and business terms of contracts to improve client management and business development
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the company’s intellectual property portfolio
- Assist in responding to other legal requests
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
- At least 3 years of relevant experience, preferably in a technology company or an organization in a regulated industry
- High integrity, highly-organized, and detail-oriented with a strong work ethic and sound all-around judgment
- Excellent people skills; you’ll work with colleagues in all departments, and you’d fit in well if you have a good sense of humor, display empathy, and don’t take yourself too seriously
- Proven ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter who thrives when trusted with the autonomy to identify areas in which you can add value and to develop and execute plans for improving such areas
- Growth-minded, welcomes mentorship and constructive feedback, and has a constant desire to improve both personally and professionally
- Passion - We love what we do, and we want our colleagues to be as excited as we are about Civis’ mission and coming into work each day
One small (but important) requirement:
We want to know more about you than what's on your resume, so please include a cover letter to discuss what interests you about Civis, our work, and the analytics field in general. Please also use the cover letter to explain why you are a great fit for Civis and this role.