Assistant General Counsel, Litigation and Corporate Compliance
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to safe and effective cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. As a vertically integrated company, GTI manufactures and sells a well-rounded suite of branded cannabis products including flower, concentrates, edibles, and topicals. The company also owns and operates a rapidly growing national chain of retail cannabis stores called RISE™. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 11 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 72 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 600 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
The Assistant General Counsel, Litigation and Corporate Compliance role will be responsible for representing the company in all disputes and pre-dispute situations and building, maintaining and leading our internal compliance function. We move quick here at GTI so be ready and willing to work in a fast-paced environment and be prepared to build something new.
- Primary responsibility for representing the company in all disputes and all adversarial proceedings.
- Develop and maintain policies for case intake, e-discovery, document retention and legal holds.
- Report on contingent liabilities as part of public company compliance.
- Build and lead an internal compliance program and training, covering all aspects of corporate compliance.
- Conduct internal investigations when needed.
- Oversee and advise the regulatory compliance team.
- Advise other lawyers on the team and in the business on compliance or dispute-related issues in order to help the company minimize its risk exposure.
- Consult on M&A work as needed to assist with diligence on isses issues relevant to the role.
- Be willing and able to manage other lawyers and build a team if needed.
- Effective management of outside counsel and budgets.
- Be willing to take on additional responsibilities and learn new skills.
- Help build a positive work culture for everyone.
- 12+ years of legal experience with experience in litigation and compliance.
- Substantial experience negotiating and resolving disputes.
- Excellent litigation skills with a strong track record.
- Knows how to build and lead a compliance function.
- Experienced team leader ready and able to drive demonstrable results.
- Must be able to anticipate and avoid issues before they happen.
- Broad base of experience with knowledge of multiple legal disciplines and subject matters.
- Must be able to work quickly and respond to shifting demands & priorities.
- Advanced communication skills and ability to understand, interpret and convey legal information to non-legal people.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information.
- Works well with a team and knows how to develop other legal professionals.
- Maintain an active license to practice law in IL or satisfy Illinois Supreme Court Rule 716.
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
We can't wait to meet you!
Read Full Job Description