Quantitative Financial Software Engineer (Trainee)
JOIN OUR TEAM
We’re looking for a talented and highly motivated Quantitative Financial Software Engineer (Trainee) to join the Lifecycle Advice Structured Solutions Group of NextCapital Advisers Inc.. This is initially a traineeship opportunity for a 3-6 months ideal for ambitious candidates seeking to transition into a full time position thereafter. Financial Software Engineers at NextCapital work as part of our highly innovative research team and solve complex problems related to financial advice structured solutions covering goal and risk-based products and related investment management. Our clients range from everyday investors to large financial institutions. Learn more about us at www.themuse.com/companies/nextcapital.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Disrupt the financial advice industry by building the next generation of financial advice and investment management solutions.
- Learn from experienced quantitative researchers and expert software developers through pair coding and hone your skills across cutting-edge financial economics and full lifecycle advice retirement finance.
- Build well-tested, efficient and reusable quantitative analytic models and scalable software.
- Make an immediate impact by contributing to research and building new analytic features from start to finish.
- Participate in the design, development, and implementation of software quality standards and procedures to maintain high levels of software quality and product reliability.
- Review product business and technical specs with ability to provide feedback.
- Develop test plans, scripts, and other documentation for various functional and non-functional testing activities.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Required Minimum Entry Criterion:
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Operational Research, Financial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other graduate degree in a quantitative discipline with equivalent field experience. Ideal candidates will have degrees across the disciplines of computer science and finance. Bachelor degree candidates may apply only if the lack of a Master’s degree is compensated by significant coding experience and/or significant relevant work experience or a CFA or CFP designation (see below).
- Coding experience: You have advanced skills in Ruby/JRuby and Matlab paired with advanced spreadsheet modeling capabilities with Google Apps Scripting Expertise or VBA for Applications for fast prototyping. Java experience is a strong preference.
- You have strong knowledge of financial markets, financial mathematics, and computational finance (statistics), and a financial planning background. You’re a strong candidate if you are on track for CFA, SOA, CFP, CPA, FRM, CRPC certification. Preference will be given to applicants that have completed at least their CFA level I examination.
- You have sharp analytical abilities, problem solving techniques and software design skills.
- You’re comfortable reading & writing code, and can clearly articulate to diverse audiences what each part of the code is doing.
- You have experience with broad advice methodology work and managing your own research and/or programming resources.
- Previous retirement financial planning experience preferred.
- You have outstanding writing and communication skills with a proven track record.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT
- Disrupt the financial advice industry by bringing affordable, easy to use financial tools to millions of people
- Enjoy a laid back work environment & learn from FinTech’s best & brightest
- Receive great benefits like stock options, 401(k) match, and employer contributions to health, dental and vision coverage
- Join a fast growing company where you can have a real impact on the company's future
- Participate in company-sponsored cornhole leagues, company outings, wine tastings, fantasy football leagues, hackathons and other fun events
- Enjoy a newly built out office on Michigan Avenue with a view of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan.
- Sip locally roasted coffee, kombucha, or craft beer at your modular sitting/standing desk
- Participate in women in tech events and service days at local organizations
- Enjoy monthly, company wide, guided meditation sessions
OUR TOOL KIT
We believe in using the best tool for the job, and also relying on the strengths of our team. Here are the key technologies that we use everyday: