Product Management Internship
Zoro's an aggressive, hyper-growth ecommerce company that sells industrial supplies to business customers throughout the US. In the past 7 years we've grown from a group of 6 people working 2,000 square foot building, offering fewer than 100,000 products to a group of 275+ working out of a 60,000+ square foot building, offering more than 2 million unique products. We've been successful in growing in large part due to our team. Zoro hires bright & hard-working individuals that are intent on growing our business & serving our customers. And we're looking to grow further!
Zoro is currently offering one paid internship for a passionate & driven individual interested in joining our Product Management team for the summer of 2019. This is a full-time opportunity and will start early June and end in late August. The start and end dates can be flexible based on your semester schedule.
In terms of responsibilities, our Product Management group is responsible for managing both the company's product offering and its community of suppliers. The individual chosen will learn about the daily operations of this function including managing item additions, product data & content, and supplier interaction & negotiation. There will also be a high degree of cross-functional interaction as our team regularly engages with groups across our company including pricing, marketing, ecommerce, supply chain & operations, customer service, finance, legal, and others.
Interns can expect to be tasked with developing & executing an expansion strategy for an assigned category of products. At the conclusion of their internship, candidates will be given the opportunity to present their findings to senior leadership at Zoro. Types of things you can expect out of this internship:
- Using primary & secondary market research data to gain an educated understanding of our market & competitive environment.
- Gaining a thorough understanding of Zoro's existing customer base and target demographic.
- Benchmarking Zoro against relevant competitors.
- Analyzing financial information to understand the health of the assigned category of products.
- Working with Zoro suppliers to develop a relevant product & brand offering to meet the needs of the Zoro customer.
- Synthesizing learnings and developing a product expansion roadmap to better position Zoro competitively in the future.
Ideal candidates would be individuals with a high-level of interest and aptitude – although not necessarily a mastery of specific business concepts. Skills of value:
- Ability to learn quickly, natural curiosity, a willingness to figure things out, and make things work
- Drive, get up & go, entrepreneurial spirit, a bias toward action
- Ability to build positive relationships with others – direct teammates, cross-functional partners, and suppliers
- Analytical ability, data-based decision making skills, ability to make good decisions with incomplete information
- Willingness to experiment, take risks, and try new things without fear of failing
- A sense of humor, a fun-loving demeanor, and a good attitude
Preferably, our intern will be entering his or her Senior year. Educational backgrounds in business administration, marketing, economics, supply chain, ecommerce, or merchandising are preferred but not required. Basic skills in Excel and PowerPoint are required. SQL experience is preferred.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.