HR Intern - Summer 2019
SMS Assist is looking for a Human Resources Intern for our 2019 Summer Internship program!
The SMS Assist Summer Internship program is a full-time, paid opportunity that will run from June 3rd –August 9th. An internship at SMS Assist will provide an opportunity to work with a fast-paced, growing company in Chicago’s vibrant technology scene. Each intern in our summer group goes through one week of training together as a cohort and are placed in one of our departments, where they’ll spend around 75% of their time throughout the summer. The other 25% is spent engaging in intern-specific activities and learning opportunities, such as executive lunch & learns, personal development workshops, and access throughout the company for informational interviews. During the internship, the program interns will work together on an SMS Assist business case and they will present their findings and ideas at the conclusion of the internship for SMS Assist leadership and other key team members. Of course, we have some fun social events thrown in there as well!
Core Responsibilities of the Human Resources Intern
- Each Human Resources intern will be assigned to work with one of the three following HR functions; employee relations/employee engagement, recruiting/branding talent/total rewards and talent management and development
- Interns selected to work with the Talent Acquisitionteam will have the opportunity to review resumes, schedule interviews, and create interactive job postings to share on social media
- Talent Acquisition projects include working within our applicant tracking system and learning about the full-cycle recruiting process
- Interns selected to work with the Talent Management & Developmentteam will assist with new hire and continued education training
- Talent Management & Development projects include creating and/or updating training documents, resources, and presentations
- Interns selected to work with the Employee Relations & Engagement/Total Rewardsteam will learn about stay & exit interviews, employee investigations, benefits, compensation and payroll
- Employee Relations & Engagement/Total Rewards projects include researching and analyzing data to produce and present various reports
- HR Interns must maintain appropriate confidentiality in dealing with company and employee information
- Above all HR Interns will provide exceptional customer service to our business units and employees
Key Competencies of the Human Resources Intern
- Understanding the value of customer service in the HR environment
- Understanding of Human Resources practices and terminology
- Passion for people and cultivating employee engagement and growth
- Strong communication skills with a focus on asking questions and listening to understand
- Ability to work in teams as well as independently
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of key HR information
Education and Experience
- Must be a rising junior or senior enrolled in a full-time Bachelor’s degree program or a recent graduate
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Traits: Attention to detail, team player, self-directed, and motivated
- Interest in HR, training, employee relations, employee engagement, culture, recruiting, branding for talent, benefits, compensation, and/or total rewards
- Must be able to start the SMS Assist Summer Internship program on June 3rd, 2019 and continue with the internship program until it commences on August 9th, 2019
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.