Talent & Culture Compensation Lead Analyst
The Team: The Corporate team unites a variety of functions at Morningstar including design, marketing, finance, quality, Talent & Culture (HR), corporate communications, legal, compliance, strategic planning, and technology with the goal of keeping our business running smoothly. Each of these functions plays an essential role in supporting our company's infrastructure, day-to-day operations, and ongoing strategic initiatives.
The Role: We believe that people are our most important asset. Our people—through their creativity, talent, and willingness to learn—are essential to the success of our company. We are looking for a bright, energetic, and driven individual to serve as a Lead in Talent & Culture focusing on Compensation. As a member of the team, you will contribute to the overall success of the team and positive experience for our employees, managers, and colleagues. In this role, you will be expected to act with a high degree of autonomy, sitting in the critical intersection between the Rewards, Operations, and Business Partner functions within Talent & Culture. You will lead critical compensation initiatives, processes, and projects to successful execution. This position dual reports to Total Rewards and our core Talent & Culture specialist team. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Operate as integrated member of the total rewards team and our Talent & Culture specialist team.
- Develop best practices and handle exception process in partnership with Business Partners for compensation program delivery
- Own standard operating procedures in compensation space, ensuring all documentation is available and up to date.
- As the compensation team lead, determine quality and audit procedures and oversee domain related processes.
- Serve as subject matter expert and solution architect for implementation of compensation related processes in HRIS
- Liaise with counterparts across Total Rewards and our Talent & Culture generalist team to ensure consistency of process and employee experience where possible
- Proactively identify process improvements and opportunities to streamline, automate, and transition work to centralized teams
- Serve as an escalation point for questions related to compensation, via AskHR Service Desk, while complying with defined service level agreements
- Train and instruct Talent & Culture Specialist and Business Partners on processes and programs related to compensation
- Manage projects, programs and initiatives within Compensation
- Lead equity process for all related stock ownership programs including preparation for Board related materials
- Internal audit liaison
To be successful in this role, the Talent & Culture Compensation Lead should have an awareness and basic understanding of the following skilled areas with the ability to apply such skills under general supervision:
- Application of company, TC (Talent & Culture), and compensation strategies, philosophies, and approaches
- Application of fundamental compensation skills, in the areas of research and benchmarking, analytics, financial savvy and cost-benefit analysis, program design and implementation, process management and process improvement, vendor management, compliance, and consult in offers of employment
- Ability to educate, train, and communicate with Talent & Culture counterparts, managers and employees compensation initiatives and foundational knowledge
- Ability to utilize and leverage core business and TC-specific resources, processes, technologies, and internal/external networks when solving business challenges
- Ability to problem solve and provide consultation/advising to stakeholders to deliver customized compensation solutions for organization challenges
- Knowledge of current compensation industry best-practices, strategies, technology, and service providers
- Knowledge of relevant laws, legal rulings, and regulations
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree or its equivalent.
- Strong analytical skills and curiosity.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience and a proven track record in Talent & Culture or in a service, project management, or analytic function.
- Prior experience with compensation or employee and manager coaching is desired
- Proven ability to learn quickly, behave professionally, and proactively take responsibility
- Ability to work collaboratively or on an independent basis
- Demonstration of a high level of discretion and candor relating to sensitive or confidential information
- Strong to expert analytical skills and the ability to solve problems on a strategic level
- Excellent communication skills and high emotional intelligence.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.