Director of People
Built In is a network of online communities that has quickly become the #1 recruitment solution for tech companies and startups in six major tech markets. We are our target market. We are a company of entrepreneurs building the next best recruitment platform for companies like us.
By working at Built In you'll have the chance to work directly with the latest, and fastest-growing, technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points-talent and awareness with our Employer Branding & Recruitment solutions. We currently operate six communities: Chicago, Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, NYC, Boston, and are headquartered in Chicago.
The Head of People (HOP) will be responsible for developing and executing a human capital strategy that will meet the needs of the rapid growth of Built In. This position will have overall responsibility for the strategy, design and execution of the company’s human resources strategies and programs, supporting approximately 47+ employees in Chicago, Austin, Boston, Colorado, LA and NYC as well as all of our independent contractors.
The individual will be responsible for all HR related activities, including: building HR functions from conception to implementation, talent management and acquisition, development and retention, employee engagement and employment brand initiatives, performance management and succession, compensation and incentive plan design and execution as well as employee relations issues, payroll and benefits, HRIS and organizational design and support.
The HOP will drive critical HR processes throughout the organization and leverage HR to accomplish key business objectives, implement cultural and organizational change, and ensure that the business has the HR capability, leadership and bench strength to achieve profit and growth strategies.
The successful candidate will naturally cultivate the trust and credibility of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and employees of all levels in the organization. The individual will be a strategic thinker who will have the opportunity to act as an HR visionary and thought leader, driving revenue growth through human capital strategies. The HOP will have a proven track record of innovative successes and best practices when partnering with a business.
Other highlights of the role include:
- Provide leadership & direction of Human Resources, supporting the organization’s objectives & championing change across all locations.
- Act as primary HR relationship manager & senior HR consultant to the CEO and senior leadership team.
- Establish policies/processes for management and employees.
- Build a HR team to provide consistent, reliable & quality-based service delivery.
- Build, execute and oversee execution of performance management process, linking performance assessment & compensation to business results & accountabilities.
- Build, execute and oversee the Talent Management function and continue to build programs and processes that grow our talent and focus on retaining our employees.
- Manage employee relations practices to ensure that employees are treated fairly, leaders are able to take necessary actions with non-performing employees.
- Develop and communicate a compensation strategy/program that increases performance & rewards top performers.
- Monitor benefits programs to ensure compliance with local requirements, competitiveness & value pricing.
- Ensure systems are in place for HR process efficiency, enabling accurate and timely reporting for compliance & strategic purposes.
- Utilize development resources to coach, educate and empower managers to be effective business leaders.
- Partner with managers to assess organizational talent & develop top talent
- Ensure organization succession plans are in place for key positions.
- Develop & execute internal communication programs as well as external employment brand communications.
- A well-rounded HR background with at least 7+ years of experience, some of which included technology, service and fast-growing companies, and a reputation for proactively using the HR function to help drive change and support the execution of business strategy.
- Demonstrated strong business acumen and has experience contributing as a peer to others on the SLT.
- Proven capability to design and implement successful talent management programs for organizational and individual assessment and development. This will be coupled with the selection, recruitment and cultivation of talent, including bench strength analysis and succession planning. The ability to do this across a decentralized operating environment is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change, organizational transformation, team building and organizational development.
- Expertise in the areas of compensation, change management and organizational development.
- Previous experience conducting due diligence on potential M&A/IPO with regard to management talent and compensation and benefits.
- Demonstrated capacity to build and maintain strong working relationships at all levels in the organization.
- Experience building effective and impactful HR organizations that have delivered results that have a direct and measurable impact on the business.
- Experience assessing established human resources practices and driving change from the standpoint of implementing best in class, innovative and modern HR programs and practices. A bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or other related field.
- An advanced degree in business or human resources.
- Experience building and leading the corporate human resource function.
- Expertise across a variety of HR disciplines including organizational development, leadership development, talent acquisition, HRIS, employee relations and compensation and benefits.
What We Value
- A+ player - We're looking for a dynamic, high performer with a strong track record of achievement. You should be able to find common ground and gain personal and professional trust.
- Flexible personality – You should thrive on change while remaining highly organized, optimistic, and coachable. High energy and contagious enthusiasm help too.
- Communication - You should have the ability to speak and write clearly, concisely, and compellingly. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must. Your ability to present complex messages to multiple levels of an organization and survey for needs without relying on PowerPoint decks is paramount. You should also be able to correctly read people, political and business situations and develop, adjust and execute an appropriate business strategy.
- Interest in the tech industry – You must be passionate about three things: (1) Startups (2) Building innovative tech products and services; and (3) Helping others. This is what we do.
- Willingness to work around the clock, or sort of – The job involves working some evenings and weekends, and responding to customers outside of work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but yet a combination of life and work.
Culture fit – You will need to get along with our team (which isn’t too hard, we think!) as well as all the members vital to the community in which you are building. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
Education - We value intelligence, personality and overall fit over a degree.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k) stock options and benefits. We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don't care.
- Free food. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have unlimited LaCroix, cold brew coffee on tap and catered lunch (Monday - Thursday).
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hard working, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets.
- Open vacation & sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and work load allow.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.