Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
We are looking for a skilled and professional individual for the Manager Technical Accounting role. Reporting to the Sr. Director of Technical Accounting and Reporting, this position has a critical and highly visible role in the management and accurate recording of revenue as well as in other critical technical accounting subject areas.
This role has ownership of all aspects of revenue accounting and reporting and must understand, analyze and communicate financial impacts to revenue throughout the organization. You will routinely partner with staff across multiple functions ensuring proper alignment with policies and controls for revenue recognition and reporting in accordance with US GAAP.
In addition to responsibilities related to revenue accounting, the Manager Technical Accounting will be expected to assist in other technical accounting matters on an as-needed basis.
- Lead the implementation of ASC 606 and ASC 842
- Lead the design, implementation and assessment of the operational effectiveness of revenue accounting including ASC606 related SOX controls
- Drafting of internal accounting memos for significant transactions
- Review all new enterprise and managed services customer contracts to ensure consistent application of revenue recognition policies in accordance with relevant accounting literature and Company policy
- Manage the Company’s tiered pricing deferred revenue schedule (including waterfall schedules, revenue releases and any holds); record journal entries related to any holds and releases of deferred revenue
- Provide guidance and support to various cross-functional teams to assess new service offerings and new vendor contracts, and determine the proper accounting for the contract drafts to ensure that the auditors are aligned with our accounting guidance interpretation
- Review all significant contracts before such contracts are executed
- Assist the Accounting Operations Team in the monthly revenue close process to ensure all revenue is recognized in accordance with US GAAP and the Company’s revenue recognition policies
- Assist in identifying and implementing process improvements and automating manual processes
- Prepare schedules for internal and external reporting as well as outside auditors
- Address and respond to auditor inquiries
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 6+ years’ experience; ideally within technology / online marketplace industry
- Prior Technical Revenue accounting experience preferred
- Knowledge of ASC605, ASC606, ASC842 and other accounting rules relating to software and services revenue recognition
- Big 4 experience
How to really knock our socks off:
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities effectively in order to meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including effective drafting of accounting memos
- Demonstrate ability to effectively work cross-functionally with all levels within a company, including executive management
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.