Head of Client Solutions, Asset Management
The Area: The Client Solutions functions sits within Morningstar’s Sales and Client Service Unit. This critical function leads Morningstar’s go-to-market (GTM) strategy and execution for the Asset Management Segment. The Asset Management client segment includes firms that build, market and distribute investment management products.
Morningstar segment solution leaders set the GTM strategy for their segments, serve as Morningstar’s industry experts and thought leaders, participate in industry events and conferences, and actively engage with clients to develop new business opportunities based on Morningstar’s extensive portfolio of leading capabilities. Morningstar markets a broad range of solutions including independent investment research, software, analytics and data for client decision support as well as both index capabilities and investment management capabilities.
In addition to the external facing responsibilities, Segment leaders collaborate with internal teams on market analysis and strategy, product strategy, product marketing, and sales planning and execution.
Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, the Head of Client Solutions, Asset Management role leads overall go-to-market responsibility for our Asset Management segment in North America. The segment leader serves in a strategic business development capacity, leading GTM strategy and execution across the asset management industry. This leader possesses a strong understanding of the asset management industry, competitive dynamics, emerging trends, and disruptive forces. Both strong working knowledge of front office business transformation and knowledge of investment product creation, product management and product marketing and distribution are critical. This leader also possesses a strong working knowledge of the Advisor segment, comfortable with all advisor firm types including registered investment advisors (RIA), regional and independent broker dealers, online / discount brokerage, wirehouses, and robo-platforms. This leader will work with Product, Marketing and Sales to set priorities for addressing the market opportunity and executing marketing and sales activities against the strategy. This is based at Morningstar headquarters in Chicago, IL.
Product and Segment Strategy (30% time)
• Work with the leadership from sales, product, research and marketing to develop Morningstar’s strategy for the Asset Management segment including both short- and long-term priorities, as well as revenue and profit goals.
• Understand the complete Morningstar portfolio including, products, assets, IP and thought leadership. With matrix leadership, prioritize, package and position these capabilities for the unique needs of the asset management segment.
• Influence the product roadmap and product development process based on firm understanding of marketplace dynamics, trends, challenges and opportunities.
• Work with Head of Client Solutions, Advisor Segment to identify trends to fully understand end to end investment management business and implications for Morningstar product development and marketing.
GTM and Client Engagement (70% time)
• Collaborate with marketing to influence and shape the GTM strategy for the Asset Management segment, prioritizing products, capabilities and solutions.
• Contribute to the development of key marketing strategies and programs for the segment. Work with Head of Global Sales Training and Development to ensure effective segment curriculum development and training for regional sales teams.
• Work in matrix capacity to lead, coach and co-sell with 20+ Client Sales Executives and other client facing resources. Coach the sales team on effective client engagement in the Asset Management segment, continually improving the sales team’s client facing skills.
• Engage with key executives / c-level leadership at clients on strategic business development.
• Achieve required sales and business development targets with sales team: Identify, qualify, progress, and close new business opportunities.
• Network with key industry thought leaders and influencers to position Morningstar’s POV and capabilities.
• Perform speaking engagements at both Morningstar and industry events.
• Continually improve and evolve Morningstar’s segment communications strategy.
• Serve as Morningstar host for the Asset Management Forum and other key executive events.
• Experienced leader with an entrepreneurial mindset
• Client-centric with a strong client engagement and service mentality
• Strategic and analytical thinker
• Charismatic leader and great team player
• Competitive, results-driven sales leader.
• Strong oral and written presentation skills
• Comfortable with frequent public speaking and presentations
• Passionate about the asset management and wealth management business and with Morningstar’s mission of helping investors achieve their goals.
• Industry subject matter expert with deep expertise on all aspects of strategy and operations within the asset management business. Possesses comprehensive knowledge of key functions, business processes, workflows, industry ecosystem.
• Strong network and extensive relationships in the Asset Management industry.
• Understanding of regulatory environment and impact on the Asset Management industry.
• Understanding of the competitive landscape for data, software and analytics technologies.
• Bachelor’s degree is required; MBA, CFA, or other advanced degree/accreditation is strongly preferred.
• This role requires 60%+ travel
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.