Finance Manager, FP&A
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
THAT’S LOVELY… BUT WHAT’S THE JOB?
We need a Finance Manger, FP&A to work right alongside our CFO to turn data into insights and insights into action. You will be a business partner to multiple senior leaders, run point on budgeting and forecasting, publish regular management reporting and analysis, and contribute in just about every aspect of our day-to-day finance operation.
You will be playing a critical role in charting the path towards future growth and success of one of Chicago’s best tech companies by:
- Partnering with business leaders to provide numbers-driven insights that lead to real change and value creation within their departments
- Maintaining the company’s rolling forecasts and publishing reports that keep our business leaders in the know about where we are and where we need to go
- Analyzing our unit economics and identifying opportunities to improve them
- Recommending and designing benchmark reports that measure product, project, and company performance
- Lead critical parts of the annual planning and budgeting processes in a smooth and orderly fashion so that senior leadership is aligned on the planned path ahead
- Driving compensation policy and incentive compensation plan design and management
- Researching and recommending treasury policy that drives how we manage our cashflow and deploy our resources
- Rolling up your sleeves and applying your business savvy to take on ad hoc projects and reporting
You should also know that you’ll partner closely with a leadership team that is excited to have you on board and thirsty for your insights and ideas. You’ll be backed up by a rockstar accounting team who really knows our business and will be ready to help you utilize our historical accounting data to glean insights for the future. Lastly, this is a role where we are committed to seeing you grow, be challenged, and develop into a well-rounded finance leader.
WHAT KIND OF SKILLS SHOULD YOU HAVE?
- A gift for building robust financial models, especially in Excel
- An eye for data visualization and presentation that allows you to design intuitive and insightful dashboards and reports
- Strong business savvy and analytical skills. We need someone who is always thinking, quantifying, comparing, and coming up with ways to make our operations and finances better.
- Communication skills and presence, which allow you to efficiently and effectively influence decision making and get your point across
- A fast motor and big gas tank. You need to be able move fast and not wear out. This is a role for someone who will tirelessly challenge the status quo and wants to innovate constantly.
- A quick mind and sure hands. You need to be able to take quick, ambiguous direction and then synthesize it into an output that solves the problem or meets the need… and you need to do it on time, every time.
- Be a master juggler. You will need to manage a heavy and diverse workload without breaking a sweat. To do so you’ll have to be proactive, able to prioritize, and be a strong communicator.
- Integrity and a commitment to the highest possible ethical standards. The only thing not funny about Jellyvision is our books. While a sense of humor is a requirement for every Jellyvision employee, when it comes to our finances and integrity, we are as serious as a heart attack
AND WHAT KIND OF EXPERIENCE SHOULD YOU HAVE?
- 4+ years of finance/accounting experience, including experience in a high growth SaaS or tech company
- Experience building things from scratch, whether that be processes, reports, new roles, or entire start-ups
- Demonstrated experience building robust financial models
- Experience working with and influencing senior leaders
ANYTHING ELSE? We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Charitable match and events. Like giving back? Like eating dips/baked goods and listening to music? JV matches up to $100 per employee to a single charitable organization once every calendar year! We also find fun ways to give back as a community to a variety of organizations that are important to us, by putting on charitable events such as bake sales, dip fests, battle of the bands, where all the money collected by our people goes to the organization that is being promoted! Giving back is important to us, so why not do it in a way where we can eat goodies?
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga and meditation classes? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the Renew 2 Zero-Gravity Massage Chair by Brookstone®. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.