Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
As the Enterprise Billing Manager with Upwork, you will own the billing and collection operations for our enterprise clients. You will oversee all aspects of customer billing across Upwork to ensure that invoices are accurate and delivered in an efficient, timely manner. You must be able to collaborate with multiple business units to understand both business unit and customer billing requirements. Additionally, you should bring a passion for strategic innovation, relentless customer focus, and a zeal for successfully delivering complex projects that drive business value.
The Billing Manager will be involved in decision making for various high-level functions related to billing and financials and other vital business sectors. This individual will work to develop long-term strategies aimed to propagate a vision of growth and sustainability of current and future operations. This role will take accountability for the direction of the business which will be guided by successful evolution of tools, processes, and relationships with our Enterprise Clients.
In this role you will:
- Responsible for managing all aspects of enterprise billing, collection, and analysis
- Assist the Sales Operation Team with managing the deal desk review of enterprise contracts and credit reviews
- Assist the Senior Director of SOX Program to design, implement, and maintain the key controls surrounding the billing and collection process
- Oversee the day-to-day enterprise bill-to-collect operations of the billing team ensuring adherence to policies and procedures
- Responsible for the billings, month-end close, process improvements, and automation surrounding the enterprise billings including preparation of monthly variance analysis and KPI
- Supervise two (2) full-time employees and six (6) freelancers around the world
- Manage operational key metrics to assess and improve the operational efficiency
- Manage relationships with the Sales and Solution teams, including answering questions and providing requested documentation
- Coordinate with Sales team to help design Enterprise processes and fee structures
- Responsible for managing a periodic contract reviews to ensure that we bill clients accurately based on the executed contracts
- Interact with external auditors to provide support related to Enterprise revenue
- Review billing processes and make recommendations to the Controller for improvements and automation opportunities
What you need to win this role:
- Understanding the US GAAP requirements
- Must-have knowledge and experience in revenue recognition and billing
- Prior experience in Enterprise software (Oracle) a big plus
- Related experience in the online marketplace or SAAS industry is preferred
- Ability to work independently performing a variety of tasks under general supervision
- Must have outstanding organizational skills with attention to detail
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.