Director of Payroll
- Job Description:
About Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is eighth largest retail mortgage lender in the U.S. The company has become The Home Purchase Experts® by offering industry-leading self-service tools and low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service. Headquartered in Chicago with approximately 3,000+ employees in 200+ offices across the U.S. and licensed in all 50 states, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with more than $23 billion in home purchase loans and refinances in the past year.
Guaranteed Rate has been able to expand successfully nationwide through a business model that allows top originators to join the company and close more loans faster through its technology, pricing, process and support. The company now has more top loan originators in the annual national rankings from mortgage industry publications Mortgage Executive, Scotsman Guide and Origination News than any other bank or mortgage company. Having gone through explosive growth Guaranteed Rate has maintained being highly entrepreneurial while maintaining a healthy work life balance. If you’re interested in working with motivated and intelligent people while disrupting an industry then we want to talk with you.
Who is GR?
Guaranteed Rate is not your typical company and certainly not your typical mortgage company. We’re technology driven, have tons of energy and we love what we do – great people and great products alongside our impeccable customer service (83 NPS, unheard of!). We’re in a Ravenswood loft style office building with exposed brick and duct work, and windows we can actually open during the summer. The awesomeness doesn’t end there, we also have:
- Not just major holidays, we have any holiday parties -- Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Opening Day, Boxing Day, you get the picture.
- Access to our free nurse practitioner/acupuncturist and massage therapist.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield health care coverage – dental, vision, short-term disability, life insurance and a 401(k) plan.
- Best of all, we help you become a homeowners with a big fat employee discount on the origination fees. Already own? We offer discounted refinances through Guaranteed Rate.
What's the Role?
The Payroll Director will oversee payroll, payroll accounting, and payroll taxes for the company. The Payroll Director will oversee all payroll employees and be entrusted with hiring duties. Additionally, the Payroll Director will perform external and internal audits related to payroll, making sure that the payroll department is adhering to company and legal standards. They will help automate payroll processes, upgrade payroll software, and correct any payroll problems as well. Problem solving is an important skill in this position, as the payroll director helps evaluate and improve payroll processes as needed. When employees have issues with the payroll administration, the Payroll Director should be able to determine reasons for the problem, correct any related mistakes, and ensure that they do not reoccur.
This position will also include duties relating to administering bonuses, termination benefits, contribution calculations, employee benefits, and 401(K) benefits. Recordkeeping is another important part of the job, including maintaining documents relating to payroll. The Payroll Director needs to be able to prepare concise, complete payroll reports and coordinate effectively with other departments within the company such as human resources and the legal department.
A bachelor’s degree is generally required for this position, as well as experience in related positions. Proficiency in basic computer programs - especially those related to payroll administration - is essential; for many positions, experience with Ceridian and/or ADP is specifically preferred. Certification as a payroll professional may be needed as well. This is a full-time position that takes place during regular business hours, although overtime will occasionally be required depending on the needs of the business.
- Manage the overall corporate payroll functions including, payroll processing, payroll taxes, reviewing and revising policies and procedures as well as internal controls in the compensation segment of the company.
- Inspire leadership in your immediate team that oversee Payroll, providing mentoring and coaching opportunities with a strong investment of development of their careers.
- Ensure the team is properly trained and provide leadership to enhance performance, quality and productivity.
- Partner with HR, Commissions Team and Accounting Team to ensure the accuracy, timeliness and compliance of reportings, while documenting the policies, processes and controls, and identify and implement improvements.
- Set performance/productivity targets and execute against them with a thoughtful plan.
- Implement and report on key metrics to monitor, manage and improve quality and efficiency within the payroll team.
- Champion continuous improvement efforts including business process optimization.
- Ensure payroll tax payments are in compliance with applicable federal, state and local tax laws.
- Maintain necessary vendor relationships and compliance.
- Other responsibilities include but not limited to participate in special projects or ad hoc analysis as assigned
Minimum 7+ years experience in Payroll
Bachelors Degree or above required
5+ years management experience
Experience with Ceridian preferred
Experience with ADP a minimum
Effective communication (verbal and written)
Interpersonal and problem-solving skills
Ability to work effectively with teams
Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word and Outlook
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason protected by law