Director of Mutual Fund Compliance
The Compliance team supports Morningstar Inc.’s global businesses, with focus on those entities registered with and governed by a regulatory body. Morningstar’s compliance professionals have an integral role in the firm’s compliance program; a program designed to mitigate compliance and regulatory risk. Morningstar offers a broad range of products and services to financial institutions including those intended for asset management firms and broker/dealers and their registered representatives. Also, through its investment management group, Morningstar offers investment advisory services to financial institutions or their clients and may be appointed an investment adviser to registered investment vehicles (e.g., mutual funds).
Morningstar Funds Trust:
Morningstar Funds Trust (the “Trust”) has filed a registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission to be a registered investment company under the Investment Company Act of 1940 (e.g., mutual fund). Rule 38a-1 under the Investment Company Act of 1940 requires the Board of Trustees of Morningstar Funds Trust, to designate a chief compliance officer (the “CCO”), who is responsible for administering the policies and procedures of the Trust and for maintaining specified records as required by the Rule. Additionally, the Trust intends to operate as a multi-manager structure and thus will engage third-party sub-advisers to fulfill certain investment mandates under the Trust.
Morningstar’s Compliance team is seeking a Director of Mutual Fund Compliance whose primary responsibility will be to assist the CCO in administering the policies and procedures and maintaining the specified records as required by Rule 38a-1. This position will report to the Trust’s CCO and will be based out of Morningstar’s corporate office in Chicago, IL.
• Administer the Trust’s policies and procedures to assure they are and continue to be reasonably designed to prevent, detect, and promptly correct violations of the federal securities laws. o Revise and update the Trust’s policies, procedures and related documentation when deemed necessary
o Monitor SEC’s exam and enforcement priorities and adjust Trust’s policies, procedures and documentation accordingly
o Ensure Trust’s policies and procedures adequately address existing and potential risks and conflicts of interests
o Conduct compliance training and reviews for employees
• Administer the Trust’s policies and procedures that provide for the oversight of the Trust’s service providers and sub-advisers. o Maintain an active working relationship with each and periodically visit the Trust’s service providers and sub-advisers to, among other things, evaluate the effectiveness their policies and procedures as it relates to the Trust.
• Undertake any other compliance-related projects requested by the Trust’s CCO.
• Bachelor’s degree required; in Business, Finance, Accounting major preferred.
• Extensive knowledge of the Investment Company Act of 1940 and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
• 10+ years as a compliance professional, with at a minimum 5 years administering/supporting a compliance program that includes Investment Company Act requirements.
• Experience interacting with regulators, auditors and 3rd party service providers and sub-advisers.
• Must be a self-starter, able to work independently and exhibit analytical skills.
• Detail-oriented, motivated and an independent thinker who can interact with employees of all levels.
• Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to be highly sensitive to maintaining confidentiality.
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.