Software Engineering Manager
In this role, you will lead the development of Workplace Products at Morningstar. An ideal candidate would be a self-starter who gets technology as an art, understands business goals and creates scalable, flexible technical solutions. The candidate would be responsible for delivery and ensuring modern software development practices are being applied with rigor. They would motivate the team and cultivate a culture of high energy and technical excellence. Establishing a good support infrastructure to handle production issues and being responsive to customer problems is essential to the role. Exposure & experience in large-scale system implementation is a big plus. This position is based out of our headquarters in Chicago.
* Act as the software guardian. Own non-functional requirements, architectural direction, quality of the code and addressing technical debt.
* Designs for the big-picture: product roadmap over next quarter and years
* Leads end-to-end design
* Understand our business, partner and model our core assets into our software systems
* Implements an evolutionary and incremental steps
* Work across many teams and squads
* Motivate team and create a strong culture of engineering excellence.
* Be able to mentor team and manage organizational issues including performance calibration and salary reviews.
* Collaborate with local & global teams for both technical and non-technical issues like project management and requirements management.
* Cultivate technical backlog with team leads to upgrade platform continuously.
* Analyze & remediate production issues and build in fault tolerance & operational readiness into the system architecture.
* High availability of systems is a must-have.
* Excellent communication skills
* 10+ years’ experience in progressively senior technology roles
* 3+ years of experience leading development teams.
* Some Familiarity with document/JSON databases
* Experience with SOA
* Proficiency with Agile Methodologies such as XP and Scrum.
* Experience managing multiple teams & distributed development.
* Track record or producing driving and producing change
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity