Software Engineer, Data
PowerReviews works with more than 1,000 global brands and retailers to increase conversion and improve products and the customer experience with ratings, reviews and Q&A software. Ratings and reviews solutions from PowerReviews are essential for consumers as they search and shop online and in-store, and they are proven to increase online site-wide sales up to 17%.
As a member of the PowerReviews data development team, you will design and develop software to achieve high performance, high scalability and high stability within the context of our data infrastructure and analytics platforms. Key projects include shopping and user behavior analysis, expanding our product knowledge and relationship graph, contextual NLP, satisfaction and influence analysis. These products have both real-time application requirements and high volume bulk ETL/ELTs between multiple warehouses and external sources..
The data and analytics team works closely with business owners to drive projects from conception to completion. To succeed, you should have a deep understanding of Java development for backend services, database design and query performance. To build great software quickly, we expect our engineers to fluidly leverage existing open source and commercial libraries, AWS offerings and build well integrated and performant features into our existing code base. You will have influence and responsibility in all phases of the software lifecycle, from specification to design, coding, validation and deployment.
- Develop efficient and scalable ETL workflows that help bridge data across a variety of software and data systems.
- Grow into the primary expert in multiple aspects of our data solutions
- Take ownership of projects from start to finish, working with business owners and analysts to deliver requirements on target and on schedule
- Work closely with our Analytics team members to help validate data requirements and coordinate on the important dimensions and measures of our data product solutions.
- Be responsible for the quality of your code with thoughtful design, unit testing and automated functional testing. Take on shared responsibility of our existing analytics with shared incident response duties.
- Focus on scalability, efficiency and stability in our data workflows
- Participate in and contribute to peer code reviews
- Proactively seek out and help us minimize pain points within our infrastructure and code base
- Excited about an agile development environment and product cycle
- Strong attention to detail, good communications skills and a positive attitude.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 3+ years experience with Java frameworks and tools for example: Spring, Spring Boot, Hibernate
- Past experience developing data workflows: ETLs, ELTs or through data processing solutions such as Apache Spark, Apache Flume, Map/Reduce
- Past experience developing in multi-tier application environments
- Strong experience with SQL
- Experience with source control tools such as Git
- Experience working with big data sets and big data programming (EMR, NoSQL data stores)
- Experience developing data workflows utilizing technologies such as: Elastic Map Reduce, Apache Spark, Amazon Athena, PrestoDB, Amazon Redshift, Amazon Kinesis, DynamoDB
- Comfortable working in a Unix environment
- Experience working with Docker and Amazon ECS
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Our Tech Stack
At PowerReviews we use lots of open source software and use Amazon Web Services (almost) exclusively. Our current stack consists of Linux, Java, Jenkins, Spring-Boot, Nginx, PostgreSQL,Neo4J Graph DB, ElasticSearch, React.js, Docker, and some Ruby on Rails. In AWS we make use of EC2, DynamoDB, RDS, Redshift, S3, Elasticache (both Redis and Memcached), Elastic Map Reduce, Lambda and Cloudfront. Other stuff we use includes Sumologic, Datadog, Selenium, and Packer.
PowerReviews is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.