Site Reliability Engineer
Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and event organizers think about and run their business. This includes a robust reservation, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes across the globe.
Tock was founded with the idea there was a better way for guests to book reservations. Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005 - now a perennial Michelin three star, and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. For years they were spending $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations. Nick started work on a crude reservation system. The homemade platform was a success. Soon after, Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to turn this simple idea into a robust platform to change the way people dine around the world.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of October):
- Announced an exclusive partnership and integration with Chase Pay & Ultimate Rewards
- Announced an exclusive partnership and integration with WineDirect
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
- Reached a global customer base of 21 countries operating in 100+ cities
- Has now processed over $402 million in prepaid reservations
What you’ll do
You'll be helping us scale the next generation restaurant reservation system, based on the tried and true (and proven) system deployed at world-class restaurants such as Alinea, Next, The French Laundry, and more. We're looking for engineers who are generalists — you'll be working with a mix of back-end web serving tools. Our team is pretty small (almost a dozen engineers and a few product designers), and undergoing exponential growth, so there's a great opportunity for you to make a difference.
What we’re looking for
- At least 3 years of experience in a site-reliability or engineering role.
- Understands all parts of a modern web-based application stack from Frontend, Backend to Production.
- Experience in building and maintaining production infrastructure on cloud platforms Google Cloud and Kubernetes experience are preferred.
- Interested in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Ability to debug and optimize code, as well as automate routine tasks.
- Have a systematic problem-solving approach, as well as strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- A self-motivated individual who works well with little direction.
- Prefers to experiment and use data to drive decision making.
- Build and scale up next-generation web applications that are fast and responsive.
- Maintain production and push processes that have greater than 99.99% uptime.
- Participate in on-call rotations, define playbooks, improve monitoring and contribute to a blameless postmortem culture.
- Balance a 50-50% split between DevOps and Full stack software development.
- Contribute to core team culture and contribute code to efforts across a fast-growing company.
- Support, maintain and upgrade code.
- Contribute your experience and problem-solving skills to the design and implementation of a complex cloud-based system.
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k
- Pre-tax transit benefit
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Free daily lunch
- Nitro coffee on tap
- BYOD (bring your own dog) to work
Please submit your resume and cover letter using the link below.