Senior Technical Lead - Solutions
About the Company
Civis Analytics is a rapidly growing Chicago-based company building SaaS data science products to help organizations use data to drive and optimize their decisions. We are proud to work on some of the world’s most meaningful data science challenges.
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies, the country’s largest nonprofits, and all levels of government to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best organizations operate.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
About the Role
As a Senior Tech Lead at Civis you amplify the contributions of your colleagues by leading engineering teams. This role is for a senior technical leader, effective at directing a team-of-teams and collaborating with peers in product management, client success, etc. Our Tech Leads exhibit judgment, ownership, and autonomy. At Civis, you will be responsible for making excellent decisions about technology, architecture, priorities and project staging. You will play an outsized role in making Civis a great place to build great software products. As part of the tech leadership team you will collaborate with your peers to set department direction, inspire the team and build great products.
The role would be responsible for overseeing a large contingent of the Solution Engineering teams. These are teams which are comprised both of Engineers and Data Scientists that build products on top of our core software platform. In addition to management over the engineers and matrix-assigned resources on these teams, you would own the maturity of the engineering practice on our solution teams as well as the integration with the platform. Examples of programs you would be responsible for include: Bringing lean methodologies deeper into the way teams work (how engineers see products, run experiments, measure what customers do, prioritize next steps), maturing methodologies and policies for measuring impact, developing critical paths to value, and systems for taking action in both team-silo'd and an integrated fashion across solution teams, developing adaptations to Engineering organization procedures and areas of responsibility to solution teams, partnering with peers on Platform leadership to create systems of integration, middleware, communication cadence, cross-training, etc., Developing testing strategies across solution teams.
What's great about engineering at Civis? We believe in ownership of our work and continuous learning, and we run our team to reinforce those values.
We trust engineers from all over our team to pick the right architecture, library, or framework for the job at hand. They help make decisions about new features in cross-functional design sprints and take quarterly hack weeks to try out new ideas and new technologies. Civis engineers push code to production on their second day and quickly ramp up on projects of increasing responsibility. We’re looking for a technology leader to champion this culture while ensuring efficient delivery of scalable, reliable software.
We never stop learning. Everyone has a mentor from day one and tracks their personal development alongside their technical deliverables. We staff projects based on what people will learn, not just who knows it best today. Engineers collaborate across departments with our data scientists and analysts who are not only the best and brightest in their fields, but are also eager to teach and learn from you. Finally, valuing continuous learning also means recognizing that our strongest contributors stand out for their capabilities and not their credentials.
We are smart, fun, and a little bit weird. Does this sound like you?
- 10+ years of experience as a software developer/engineer, including experience taking a leading role in significant technical projects
- 5+ years leading teams of 8+ engineers and managing other technical leads
- Demonstrated experience building team culture and engineering processes, especially on high growth teams
- Experience building complex web applications with modern languages and frameworks
- Love of problem-solving
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Degree in Computer Science or related subject
Significant experience with several of the following:
- Developing large web applications or web services
- Leading technical teams
- Experience with project management and/or UI/UX design
- Python, Ruby, and/or Go (golang)
- Designing and building APIs
- Containerization using Docker
- Container orchestration using Kubernetes or similar
- Query optimization, database administration, analytics databases, and/or NoSQL
- Scaling and ensuring reliability of large SaaS applications
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Cloud application deployment and monitoring
- Proficiency working with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Data visualization for the web (using D3 or similar)
- React or AngularJS
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, R, STATA)