Senior Systems Engineer (DevOps)
Rocket Travel, Inc., a subsidiary of Booking Holdings, is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer with experience in DevOps and cloud management to join our systems team in our West Loop, Chicago office. Your role will be working directly with the development and analytics teams to help continuously improve and build new tooling for consumption by the broader engineering team.
At Rocket, we encourage experimentation, so we're not a one language/one framework shop. We hire people who know how to pick the right tool for the job and learn along the way. We value communication and collaboration, and are looking for people who reflect the Rocket Travel Engineering values of humility, urgency, accountability and kindness.
You will be helping our team pursue challenges including:
- Application monitoring and smart alerting
- Build and deployment pipeline improvements
- Scaling our data analytics infrastructure
- Building modular infrastructure as code
- Continuous application and infrastructure security
Some of the tools we use:
- AWS RDS Mysql and Aurora, Redshift, EC2, ELB, VPC, Cloudfront, S3
- Github, Jenkins
- Java, Groovy, Grails, Kotlin, Spring Boot, Gradle
- Tomcat, Apache, Nginx
- We use commercial services too, like Cloudflare and DataDog
- You have at least 2 years production experience with AWS (or similar cloud platform).
- You have Linux systems administration experience with a DevOps mindset.
- You are proficient in task automation in bash, python, or equivalent scripting languages.
- You have deep knowledge of applying security best practices in production settings.
- You have experience administering and tuning application stacks and databases such as MySQL and Redis.
- You know how build systems work and have built and scaled CI/CD pipelines.
- You are available to start within three weeks of accepting an offer, and are willing to work from our Chicago office.
- You are qualified to accept employment in the US.
Rocket Travel is a place where you can look forward to:
- Having ownership in our products and our customers' experiences, efficiency of our systems and increase of team productivity.
- Contribute and lead projects from inception to completion as a team collaborator and as an individual contributor.
- Work with modern cloud and highly scalable systems.
- Receiving a competitive compensation package, including bonus, health/dental insurance, and 401k matching.
- Choosing your own computer/gear.
- Receiving a monthly cell phone stipend.
- Enjoying unlimited vacation, with free travel credits.
- Working remotely at those times when life calls you elsewhere in a remote-friendly culture.
- Learning at bi-monthly engineering lunch-and-learns for professional development.
- Enjoying free snacks, drinks, and coffee at our dog-friendly Chicago office in the West Loop.
We look forward to reviewing
- A cover letter about your interest in the role
- Your resume
- What your favorite Linux or Unix operating system is and why
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
No recruiters please.