Senior Software Developer
Harvest₂O builds and markets elegant home hydroponic gardening systems that make growing food at home easy, productive and fun. The movements towards sustainable and hyper-local food have created hundreds of millions of potential consumers globally who care passionately about the provenance and nutritional value of their food. We intend to serve them with an excellent product and unparalleled service.
Our system is the most advanced consumer product on the market. It adapts commercial-grade hydroponic technology for consumer use. The Harvest₂O ecosystem includes a manufactured appliance, an application that interfaces with the appliance, and a service that provides customers with all the supplies to keep their system continuously productive. The system allows for modularity to grow a little or a lot of food at home in a beautiful package at an affordable price.
We are currently conducting advanced UX testing and will be initiating a rollout in the Spring of 2019. We are an early-stage company with an experienced technology entrepreneur and deep financial backing. The CEO, Hank Adams, built his career in technology with three previous successful tech businesses under his belt. You will be interacting with all levels of the Company and have a prominent role in building a successful business.
Harvest₂O’s mission is to connect people to the food they eat, to help them to grow more of their own food and to inspire them to be conscientious food consumers. We are looking for exceptional personnel as we prepare to revolutionize the concept of the farm-to-table food.
You will be at the center of our engineering team working with new products at various stages of their lifecycles including design, architecture and implementation. We are looking for an engineering “athlete” with expertise on back-end cloud databases and hosting systems who can also develop custom software algorithms, work with external app developers and IoT hardware consultants to develop an ecosystem of hardware, software and services for our customers. We are looking for someone to create solutions for our challenges with both internal and external expertise.
- BS/MS in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Expertise with scripting programming languages such as Java, Python, Ruby on Rails, etc. Some C/C++ experience is preferred.
- Expertise in database set-up, communication and management with MQTT experience helpful. Knowledge of both MySQL and noSQL DB is important.
- Experience building AWS deployments and Kubernetes or similar systems.
- Able to work with designers of hardware, embedded firmware and mobile applications to ensure data flow in an IoT ecosystem.
- Ability to work with mobile application developers to ensure our app interacts with embedded software.
- Ability to create and maintain engineering documentation and assist in the creation of user documentation.
- Candidates will have a leg up if they have experience managing IoT platforms, consumer or industrial embedded electronics and/or some knowledge of hydroponic systems.
- Able to self-start and manage time and objectives given higher-level directives.
- Familiar with scrum and agile workflow methodologies.
- Managing outside software resources.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate cross-functionally with marketing, data scientists, project managers and other engineers to create great products for customers.
- Participate in a technology startup where shifting priorities and roles happen. We all pitch in to help with everything from operations, production and marketing events.
Life at Harvest2O
Harvest₂O is a startup enterprise. We are well-funded and resourceful as we strive to build a profitable, impactful company. We ask that our employees approach their job as owners and partners in our mission. We are looking for flexible and creative people who will support their peers and help us all grow during our journey. We are members of the 1871 Technology & Entrepreneurial Center, the No. 1 university-affiliated tech incubator worldwide, and Pumping Station One, Chicago’s oldest makerspace to encourage life-long learning and discovery.
We encourage every person at Harvest₂O to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, paid holidays, flex time, employee stock ownership and paid time off. A 401k program is in development.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled