Senior Security Engineer
What We Do
Uptake helps industrial companies digitally transform with open, purpose-built software that delivers outcomes that matter. Built on a foundation of data science and machine learning, our vision is to create a world that always works — one where the machines and equipment we depend on daily don’t break, and industrial companies are once again the creators of economic growth and opportunity.
What You'll Do:
The Senior Security Engineer is responsible for guiding the organization in making the best possible security decisions based upon knowledge, research, and innovation. You will be asked to push the boundaries of best practices and the status quo when it comes to thinking about and implementing security controls, yet being aligned with the business needs.
Some of the things you may find yourself doing:
- Review proposed solutions and identify risks
- Act as technical security liaison between multiple groups to provide authoritative security design and architecture recommendations
- Draft technical artifacts, process and procedures
- Research, design and support implementation of security toolsets
- Provide mentoring and training; act as a thought leader within the security team
- Understand and identify security risks and possible threats in large and or complex network environments
- Participate in complex hands-on security architecture and implementation projects
- Collaborate with security/technical operations on implementation of solutions
- Develop and/or implement automation tools for the cloud infrastructure
- Simplify complex changes into clear communications to educate non-security and non-technical team members
- 5-7+ years as a technical security practitioner/security architect
- Knowledge of cloud and virtualization technologies and platforms, specifically AWS
- Strong interpersonal skills and expert team player with demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships
- Ability to effectively execute and drive cross functional teams in a fast-paced startup environment
- Strong AWS, networking and Unix/Linux skills
- Experience in network or content provider operations or cloud environments at scale
- Experience with implementing Kubernetes, Mesos, DC/OS and/ or Docker security controls
- Experience in developing automation procedures and using tools such as Chef, Terraform, Ansible, etc.
- Experience in software development companies with continuous integration and continuous deployment environments.
- Familiarity with database and operating systems security
- Experience with hands on administration of network devices, systems and/or security devices
- Familiarity with regulated environments and related standards (ISO 27001/2, NIST, FEDRAMP, HIPAA, PCI/DSS, Sarbanes Oxley)
- University/College Degree
- AWS certifications
- Experience in managing Bug Bounty programs
- Hands-on Microsoft Azure experience or other cloud computing platforms
- Active member of the information security community
Why Work Here:
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We’re flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We’re also proud to be one of Chicago’s best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.