Quality Assurance Team Lead
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
SO WHAT'S THIS JOB ABOUT?
We are seeking a QA Team Lead to provide leadership and tech savvy to our organization. You will spend about 50% of your time testing and 50% of your time managing a team of 3-4 QA analysts.
We’re looking for bright, detail-oriented, all around lovely person to help to accomplish the following:
- Guide best quality practices for your team, as well as projects you are not directly associated with
- Provide feedback, mentor, and train QA analysts
- Collaborate with product owners and engineers to understand product requirements
- Analyze requirements and acceptance criteria and develop testing strategy to include both manual and automated testing approaches, as applicable.
- Create, execute, maintain, and improve test plans
- Perform functional, integration, regression, exploratory, cross-browser and platform tests
- Write thorough defect tickets and end of testing notes
- Coordinate all testing related activities for your area of focus while adhering to best practices and standards
- Collaborate with QA analysts and engineers to ensure proper test coverage including edge cases and risk areas
- Communicate test progress, results, and other relevant information to stakeholders
- Proactively address technical and process issues within your team
- Provide feedback on improving QA's efficiency and processes
- Understand business priorities and processes that affect your area of expertise
- Develop a deep knowledge of all products/tools on which your team is working including various integration points and high-risk areas.
- Thoroughly document testing strategies and test procedures for all products/tools for which your team is responsible.
WHAT KIND OF SKILLS SHOULD I HAVE?
- Leadership – You are an expert in your role and the team and/or products you are working on. You educate the team on QA best practices, and share that knowledge with other analysts outside of your direct team. You are seen as a leader and work to develop the skills of our junior and mid-level analysts. You hold weekly one on ones with your direct reports. You set goals and metrics for your team of analysts and give them performance reviews with the help of your manager.
- Analytical – You are genuinely curious. You don’t just test what someone codes. You dig into the details, understand the requirements and foundation for which they are built. You are great at creating tests for criteria coverage, but also have a keen eye for edge cases and negative tests. You can also determine what tests will provide the most value and focus efforts accordingly.
- A great communicator – You have excellent oral and written communication skills. You make sure your team and other teams are clear on expectations and next steps. Your test cases and defects are thorough, reproducible and easy to understand.
- Technical – You have strong technical writing skills and you produce comprehensive and clear defect reproduction steps. You understand the different Operating Systems/Browsers and are familiar with their strengths and limitations. You know enough to discuss technical details with engineers but can also effectively communicate with other team members in a non-technical manner. Ideally you have developed automated tests and have knowledge of test frameworks. You actively identify where test automation should be implemented and how manual testing should complement those tests.
AND WHAT KINDS OF EXPERIENCE SHOULD I HAVE?
We are looking for 4 or more years of related experience. Ideally that related experience should include:
- Working knowledge of QA methodologies, best practices and testing tools
- You’ve worked with teams to understand project and technical requirements and have created test strategies and plans to meet those requirements.
- Experience working closely with development teams to learn products and develop test plans, procedures and automated tests
- Ability to understand and create clear, concise test plans from detailed specifications or minimal documentation
- Ability to identify and debug issues quickly and thoroughly
- Experience with JIRA or similar bug tracking tool
- Experience using both manual and automated testing tools.
- Extremely comfortable with browser and OS testing for Windows, OS/X+, iOS, and Android
- Cross-Platform testing including desktop, mobile web, responsive, web/mobile application testing
- Experience with Flash, HTML, API’s, and databases is preferred
- Experience working in agile methodologies such as scrum or Kanban
- Testing cloud-based web application front end, backend, mobile, REST APIs
- Basic scripting experience. Ability to run automated tests and write/plan tests when needed.
- Familiarity with test frameworks such Cucumber, Selenium, Capybara, Rspec, etc.
- Understanding of SQL or other relational databases.
- Experience with popular browser development tools.
- In-depth knowledge of HTTP and RESTful applications. Shown ability to identify header information, request methods, and status codes.
- Experience mentoring, training, and managing testers or analysts
- Experience researching and writing/updating best practices and testing process documentation
ANYTHING ELSE? We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past experience has prepared you for this kind of position. Writing is key to all we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily. We love a cover letter that really shows us your personality (check out our company bios to see the wide range of personalities we’ve already got in house), but don’t stress if you’re not a comedian. You don’t have to be funny. Just be yours We’re mostly interested in learning who you are, what you love to do, and why you’d love to do it here with us.
- Your resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQ page!
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!