Lead Software Engineer
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
At Morningstar, helping investors is what brings us together and drives our work. We are looking for software engineers who specialize in Java and the Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) platform to join our team, grow with us, introduce us to new ideas and develop products that empower our users. We use Google Marketing Platform to run key elements of our customer facing products. You will have product ownership and responsibility for ensuring process and quality adherence through peer reviews, code reviews, test coverage and best practices. You will act as the software guardian, owning non-functional requirements, architectural direction, and the quality of the code while addressing technical debt. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Build well-designed, well-engineered, stable, scalable and global products
- Architect and develop highly scalable Java based API’s using REST principles
- Enforce good Agile practices (using JIRA) including test-driven development and continuous integration.
- Apply DevOps practices in area of continuous and automated deployment.
- Analyze and remediate production issues and build instrumentation and operational readiness into the systems architecture
- Solve investors’ problems with technology, understanding market chaos at work and crafting technically appropriate interactive experiences to communicate effectively with individual investors
- Be passionate about quality, process, programming, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others
- Collaborate with product owners and stakeholders to help shape product vision. Translate complex engineering challenges and solutions in easy to understand plain English.
- Take ownership of the success of the team with a "gets things done" attitude; the ability to understand and leverage new technologies, potentially wearing many hats including Business Analyst, DBA, QA, and Project Manager.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, plus five to eight years of experience developing commercial quality web applications.
- Five or more years of experience developing customer facing web applications using Adobe Experience Manager (AEM).
- Experience scaling web-based software applications and services to 100M monthly requests.
- Experience with Java, Linux, and Tomcat, as well as experience with full-stack web development.
- An understanding of how to protect web applications from common security vulnerabilities.
- Experience with Adobe or Google Marketing Platforms (Analytics, Optimization, Dynamic Tag Management).
- Experience with Agile methodology and tools like JIRA.
- Be organized and able to remain productive even when you have multiple deliverables.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity