Lead Software Engineer, Web Platform
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Who are we looking for?
A software engineer who can lead the technical direction for an engineering team and shares a strong sense of ownership in every application that the team builds.
What is the Web Platform team at Discover?
The team is responsible for designing and building a collection of new APIs to drive Discovers digital banking applications. The Web Platform will be comprised of products – supported by cloud native APIs. While many of these functions exist today, our teams are constrained by the legacy applications. Thats why were building greenfield to replace these apps. The end goal is to rapidly deliver digital experiences for Discovers customers by enabling business feature teams to consume the Web Platforms products.
What are the top two challenges for the team?
- Reusability. Our customers rely on digital for Card and Bank servicing. Discovers Card and Bank digital presence relies on a blend of monolithic apps and modernized microservices. Many of the apps arent natively built to support the future. As we build web platform capabilities, like Navigation and Authorization, they need to be reusable across all of Discovers banking product teams.
- Simplicity. Besides making the web platforms products reusable, they need to be simple to consume. Customer features will be built and deployed by teams leveraging the platform.
What else should you know about the team?
- You will write production code by pairing with another engineer
- You will develop in Java
- You will join a 100% onsite team comprised of around 8 people
- You will use a MacBook Pro
- Produce high quality products supporting business goals along with security, availability, and maintainability
- Define technical solutions that translate product owner’s vision into reality
- Leverage hypothesis decision-making to improve products from learnings
- Empower the team through coaching to become cross-functional and autonomous
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Computer Systems, or related technical field
- 6+ years of software development experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with large scale, high performance systems
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.