Lead Cloud Engineer
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Are you looking to be on the leading edge of technology and automation? Do you seek a highly modern DevOps team suited to take on the unique and fast paced challenges of bringing a Fortune 500 company into the public cloud? The AWS Cloud Engineering team at Discover Financial Services may be the place you have been looking for. As a lead on the AWS Cloud Engineering team, you will be responsible for driving the engineering strategy, evolving Discover’s AWS implementation, and maintenance of regular DevOps practices. The AWS space moves fast, and the AWS Cloud Engineering team adapts on the fly with the help of regular Agile methodology.
The scope of this role includes building, managing, and supporting core infrastructure and security services in AWS to deliver highly available and scalable services, automating everything to minimize manual work and meet security and compliance objectives in all aspects of the secure cloud ecosystem, use native AWS infrastructure services such as IAM, Config, Lambda, Cloudwatch, etc., perform basic system administration tasks, and serve on the on-call team as an escalation contact for service incidents.
- Architect and engineer complex AWS Solutions
- Collaborate with product owners and managers to evolve AWS strategies
- Accountable for developing and implementing complex automation tasks.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers.
- Implement Configuration Management and Infrastructure as Code (e.g. Chef, CloudFormation, Terraform, Puppet, Ansible)
- Assist with estimating work efforts required for each phase of a project.
- Identify and raise technical risks.
- Maintain working knowledge of IT industry and trends.
- Integrate with the external community (eg. run meetups, speak at conferences, write blog posts/publications)
- Participate in regular Agile ceremonies.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management Information Systems/Computer Science or related field
- AWS, Azure, or Google public cloud experience in a production environment
- Demonstrates growth mindset, enthusiastic about learning new technologies quickly and applying the gained knowledge to address business problems.
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Comfortable working on agile-based teams comprised of team members with diverse skill-sets (e.g. Quality Assurance Engineers, User Experience Designers, Software Engineers / Architects)
- Capable of collaborating with stakeholders and project leaders to understand requirements, deliverables, and set expectations on tasks that you will be responsible for.
- Consistently demonstrates follow-through in honoring commitments to customers and colleagues. Accepts the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
And by the way, while you’re waiting to hear from us, don’t forget to check out the great benefits Discover offers
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.