Java Software Engineer
ActiveCampaign is one of the fastest growing tech companies in Chicago and is revolutionizing marketing automation. Our software brings the decision-making power of data-driven analytics to small and medium businesses.
We’re looking for software engineers with experience building high-throughput, data-intensive applications in Java or other JVM languages. Our ideal candidate has built services within a horizontally scalable cloud architecture, but we’ll consider candidates with any experience. We value iteration, customer focus, and humility above all.
Recently, we've used Java in the following ways:
Scheduling, re-scheduling, and executing millions of jobs for our automation system
Reusable queue workers with tunable error recovery, backoff, and rate limiting
Replacing cron scripts with parallel-processed event streams
You can help us extend and scale our marketing platform. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing organization that truly cares about its people and their personal development.
What your day could consist of:
- Build, test, and ship features confidently and with low friction through a modern GitLab continuous integration / continuous deployment pipeline
- Work closely with your autonomous, cross-functional team
- Teach as much as you learn
- Validate your designs by building performance and load testing tools
- Measure, optimize, and re-architect production systems as they reach their limits
- Work with engineers on other teams to design services and APIs that enable feature work across our engineering organization
What is needed:
- Relentless focus on our customer’s experience
- Experience building and shipping scalable applications in Java or another JVM language
- Experience with event-driven or distributed architectures using queues or pub-sub
- Strong relational database and SQL skills
- Opinions on software testing
- Experience as a mentor or an apprentice
- Fluency in other programming languages and platforms is nice, but not required
- Experience with schemaless distributed data stores like DynamoDB or Cassandra a plus
We continually invest in our employees and offer comprehensive benefits including 100% coverage of your medical premiums and 50% for dependents, open vacation policy, fully paid maternity and paternity leave, 401k matching, catered lunches every day in a kitchen stocked with snacks and fresh fruit, free CTA or Metra passes, and a DIVVY bike membership (to name a few).
At ActiveCampaign, we are committed to maintaining a culture that is inclusive and diverse. Our colleagues foster an environment that is warm, supportive, and helpful where we treat each other exceptionally well. We are looking to add curious, driven, and creative individuals to our team who are ready to grow with us!
Read Full Job Description